Men’s basketball off to a flying start

A new era of Miami basketball got underway Thursday night at the Convocation Center. New Head Coach Frank Haith led Miami to a 73-55 win over Barry University in the team’s first exhibition game of the season.

Junior Robert Hite led the way for Miami with 20 points and sophomore Guillermo Diaz added 19 of his own. Although Barry University is a Division II school, Haith said he was happy to get some game experience.

“These types of teams are great to play in the exhibition season,” Haith said. “They are much better than playing the all-star teams because this was a real team we played tonight that has played together before.”

The Hurricanes, who have been picked by many to be the doormat of the ACC, are going to need a big man in the middle if they are going to be competitive this season. Sophomore Anthony King showed signs that he might be the guy Haith has been looking for, finishing four-for-five from the field with eight points and five rebounds.

“I thought Anthony King was a bright spot off the bench for us,” Haith said. “He came in and was live in the first half when we needed him to be.”

Point guard is another position Miami will be looking to solidify early this season. Sophomore Anthony Harris got the start and took a step in the right direction towards doing that, totaling 11 points, four assists and possibly most important, only one turnover in 29 minutes.

“I was very happy with the play of Anthony Harris,” Haith said. “If he can give us 11, four and one turnover every night, we’ll be in very good shape.”

Senior William Frisby was a force on the glass as he pulled down 10 rebounds for the Hurricanes. Junior center Gary Hamilton finished with nine points and eight rebounds.

After leading by only four at the break (31-27), Miami pulled away in the second half thanks to Diaz, who scored 13 of his 19 points during the period.

Miami returns to the court Friday for its last exhibition game against Inter-American Puerto Rico at 7 p.m. at the Convocation Center.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...