LETTER TO THE EDITOR

RE: “Politics and professors,” 11/5

In response to Lori Todd’s letter about her professor crossing the line, I strongly beg to differ. Yes, students do pay to come here to get an education, but part of that education is to be challenged, particularly by the opinions of others. Whether by faculty, students, or known figures in the community, people have a right to exercise their freedom of speech. Does it necessarily mean that everyone’s opinion is correct? Not always, and individuals could respond to that, as Lori did. However, saying that professors should be limited in what they say goes against what academic institutions stand for. This is why tenure exists, so professors can have that reassurance to share their opinion without the need to check for political correctness and fear of losing their jobs. Without tenure, universities would be nothing more than forums of censored ideas and retroactive thought.
As far as introducing politics into the classroom, saying that politics has no place in the classroom is equivalent to saying that the scientific method should not be used outside of the natural sciences. Whether a Bush or Kerry supporter, people could clearly see the broad range of issues that our election, and thus politics, has touched upon, including scientific research, social services, and the arts. No matter how much anyone denies this, politics has some influence in nearly every subject matter studied.
To those who object to the opinions of faculty members, do not be ashamed to respond with your thoughts. To those who are dumbfounded by their professors’ opinions, sit back and listen. You might learn something.

John Constantinide
Undergraduate

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...