EDITORIAL A cheer for Homecoming

Barring a certain Tiger encounter on Saturday, Homecoming this year was a pleasant surprise.

Last year in this page we criticized Homecoming for being exclusive, uneventful and poorly publicized, passing by largely unnoticed in the semester. We remained skeptical that effective changes would be implemented to improve the festivities.

However, the new Homecoming system established by the Homecoming Executive Committee [HEC] that made the celebration last one week instead of three succeeded in bringing more students and alumni together. A greater number of alumni attended Homecoming events because they all took place in one week, and that made the tradition more meaningful, since welcoming alumni is what Homecoming is supposed to be all about. They came with their kids and grandkids to the petting zoo and bumper cars during Hurricane Howl and mingled with students during the fireworks and parade.

Furthermore, because the HEC aggressively publicized Homecoming and scheduled the events closer together, more students participated in the celebrations than last year. Particularly on Friday night, the crowd can largely be attributed to the much-anticipated Wyclef Jean concert. Enthusiastic students praised the performance, so bringing a well known artist with popular college-age appeal proved to be smart move by the HEC, one they should keep in mind for future Homecomings.

Despite these highlights, some organizations that participated in the Homecoming competition complained, as we expected, that they lost events because of the new point system that divides organizations by their membership numbers rather than by their Greek or non-Greek status. Yet, we dismiss most of these complaints because, as we’ve said in the past, the competition should not be the focal point of Homecoming. We found that the new system still allowed organizations to compete on a relatively even playing field and still encouraged friendly rivalries to thrive. Moreover, sororities and fraternities endured a tough reality-check as two non-Greek organizations, Federaci

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...