Hurricane O-Cheer ’04: Battle to the Beat

The energy was pumping on a packed patio Wednesday when organizations competing in the Hurricane Homecoming competitions battled it out for the coveted first place in Organized Cheer [O-Cheer]. The annual Hurricane Homecoming O-Cheer is worth a precious 1,000 points for those competing for a prize in the competition.

The theme this year was “O-Cheer Head-2-Head: Battle to the Beat.” With the backdrop as a boxing ring and a bell to start each round, two organizations were randomly paired off and given two designated songs which each team had to include in an original Homecoming cheer, lasting no longer than five minutes.

“Each round the two organizations have two of the same songs,” Teja Veal, O-Cheer chair, said. “Whichever one uses the songs in the best way wins.”

Round one began with a battle between two first time participating organizations. ‘Canes Gone Crazy rapped, warning the Clemson Tide to “watch our for the Hurricane attack,” but Fusion pulled out a fancy, choreographed dance routine and an alma mater chant to a Michael Jackson song to win the round.

Each organization had certain requirements to include in its cheers. In addition to the overall Homecoming theme, Evolution – Remember, Relive, Recapture, it also had to include the O-Cheer theme, major Homecoming sponsors, at least one UM fight song, the designated O-Cheer battle songs, the two O-Cheer chairs’ names and the UM alma mater.

Among the criteria that the judges, who included Nanette Vega, associate dean of students, and Keith Fletcher, residence coordinator at Hecht Residential College, scored the cheers on were participation, originality/creativity, humor/creativity, style/appearance/school spirit, and usage of the required Homecoming information.

“There is a big emphasis on creativity and school spirit,” Vega said. “Of all the requirements those are weighed the most.”

While those who were competing were excited to participate, spectators were just as energized.

“I am here to support my roommate and I’m really excited to see all the different cheers,” Emily Matos, sophomore, said.

The organizations must wait until Saturday at Homecoming Game to find out the competition winners.

>> For more information on Homecoming, visit www.miami.edu/homecoming.

Meghan Risser can be contacted at m.risser@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...