Election results are marred by personal tragedy

There were the campaigns. There were the commercials. And, in the end, there were two less-than-tantalizing candidates. With the finger-pointing, lack of accountability and generally negative political atmosphere, all signs pointed to Tuesday being anti-climactic, no matter who won.

Then I woke up.

It was 6:45 a.m. and I was giddy like a kid on Christmas. I rushed out to my precinct (#34) in Miami Beach to vote. Easier said than done. There were three polling places surrounding the Miami Beach Convention Center, and, without having received a voter ID card, I chose both the wrong ones first. Finally, I arrived at my precinct, only to be bombarded with all kinds of liberal pamphlets from Kerry supporters. As a journalist, I was hoping to be nonpartisan, but suddenly I was parading around with Kerry stickers and pictures of Bush that proclaimed, “You’re fired!” I was rooting for the underdog like it was March Madness.

Yes, Kerry was the man who I saw “less unfit” to be president. Then, Jimmy Morales for mayor. Betty Castor for Senate. It seemed as though all my votes went to the Democrats, but not because my choices were better; rather, it was only because the alternative seemed worse.

Pundits knew that this race would come down to the wire. California would not miraculously turn red on the network screens, nor would America’s heartland begin to bleed blue. So, I waited, until Bush had won Florida and taken a decisive lead in Ohio-the state predicted to be this year’s election hold-up. I went to bed crushed, subconsciously feigning a concerned involvement with the Democratic Party. I would wake up the next morning with nothing hanging heavier over my head.

Then I woke up.

It was my mother, at 6:30 a.m., telling me my Papa had suffered another stroke-the second one in a couple weeks-and my dad was driving up to Sarasota to make sure everything was okay. Startled, I went on the internet, only to see that all the candidates I had voted for had lost, and Ohio was on the cusp of being Bush country. How could things be worse? I went back to bed.

Then I woke up.

It was an hour later; my mom called again: Papa had passed away.

I called my dad, who was on the cusp of Alligator Alley. Nothing makes a son cry more than hearing his own father’s tears, especially tears for his own father. All of a sudden, the next four years didn’t seem that appropriate to project. Red and blue states were just colors.

On a day meant for securing our future, nothing seemed more important than securing the present.

Ben Minkus can be contacted at b.minkus@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...