Report Card

Offense: B
It seems like the Hurricanes are creating their own version of the movie Freaky Friday because the offense and defense have completely reversed roles. I am not sure which unit is Lindsey Lohan or Jamie Lee Curtis, however.

Quarterback: B+
Brock Berlin actually played well in the losing effort. He was not responsible for any turnovers and did a good job of utilizing his receivers’ speed by throwing high-percentage passes.

Running Back: D
Frank Gore and Tyrone Moss simply did not give the Hurricanes what they needed Saturday. The tandem is too strong for a 16 carry, 57-yard performance.

Wide Receivers: B
Twelve different Hurricanes caught passes Saturday, including Berlin, who caught his own pass after it deflected off an offensive lineman. It is hard to complain about that kind of distribution.

Offensive Line: C+
The loss certainly was not the o-line’s fault. They did a solid job protecting Berlin, but the run blocking was not where it needed to be.

Defense: D-
This is the point in the report card where I will begin to get harsh. The defense has been atrocious for three weeks. This is not Miami football, and Defensive Coordinator Randy Shannon must unleash the fury on his unit this week because this loss was humiliating.

Defensive Line: F
We haven’t heard Orien Harris and Baraka Atkins’ names being called in a while, and that is because they haven’t made any plays in a while. The d-line got no pressure on Darian Durant, who looked like the second coming of Steve McNair in this game.

Linebackers: F
A third-string running back gained 175 yards against this defense. This is inexcusable, and the truck-sized holes Chad Scott ran through can be directly attributed to a horrifying performance by the linebackers.

Secondary: D
The only reason I am not giving the secondary an F is because it came through with a couple of nice stops when they needed to. However, Antrel Rolle and Greg Threat can’t do it by themselves, and the zone coverages have been abysmal.

Special Teams: C
Jon Peattie missed his only field goal attempt of the game and Devin Hester didn’t even get a chance to return a kick for a touchdown. Hester’s days of being kicked to are probably over.

Coaching: D
I know Head Coach Larry Coker is a mild-mannered guy, but this was the most embarrassing loss of his tenure. His coaching mettle will be tested in the coming weeks as the Hurricanes attempt to salvage a season that has quickly gone awry.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...