LETTER TO THE EDITOR

History and the election

Before you go to the polls today, put history in perspective. Recall the lead up to World War II. Adolf Hitler was elected chancellor of Germany in 1932; immediately he started retooling the German military, subsequently disregarding the Treaty of Versailles. British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain brought Germany to the table for negotiations. Trying to avoid war with Germany, Chamberlain gave into Hitler’s demands. When Chamberlain arrived back in Britain, he proclaimed “peace in our time.” On Sept. 1, 1939, Hitler invaded Poland, and thus started World War II. What if Chamberlain had stood up to Hitler? What if he preemptively attacked Hitler after he had broken the Treaty of Versailles? We will never know, but millions of lives may have been spared.
How is this prevalent today? After multiple UN Resolutions, Saddam still wouldn’t comply with treaties. Sound familiar?
How do we know that Saddam was a real threat? He unsuccessfully invaded Kuwait; we knew his ambitions. He used biological weapons on the Kurds. Like Hitler, Saddam had little respect for treaties and resolutions. Like Hitler, Saddam killed his citizens of his own country. Like Hitler, Saddam had intentions to expand his power over other countries. But unlike Chamberlain, George W. Bush was not willing to appease Saddam. Would Saddam have become as dangerous as Hitler? He only needed one dirty bomb to kill thousands of Americans in this new global world.
Peace in our time is impossible. A real threat is prevalent in the world. America does not need another Neville Chamberlain, it needs George W. Bush.

Geoff Yovanovic
Student

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...