News Briefs

Throughout the month of October, the Council for Democracy, UM College Republicans and UM Young Democrats have been tabling in the Breezeway conducting mock elections. The purpose of these elections is to see which presidential candidate has the most support among UM students. On Oct. 26, the organizations held their third poll from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and collected 317 votes. The results were the following:

President Bush (R) – 206 votes

Senator Kerry (D) – 109 votes

Ralph Nader received no votes, while Howard Dean and Michael Peroutka each received one vote.

On Wednesday, Oct. 27, a partisan fair was held in the UC patio, where students were able to campaign for their candidate of choice. The actual presidential election will be held on Nov. 2.

UM students were sitting on the Rock last Wednesday, but instead of taking a break between classes, they were diligently writing letters to save lives. Up ’til Dawn, the student organization that raises money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, held their Halloween Letter Writing Party to raise money for the hospital.

Organizers have been recruiting various student groups throughout the semester to bring come and participate in the letter writing event. Students came prepared with addresses of their friends and family members, and filled out letters explaining the St. Jude mission and asking for donations.

Almost 1,000 letters were written; one student brought 70 names and addresses for his letters.

“Our event would only be successful with people’s participation,” said Tina Vothang, Up ’til Dawn executive board member. “That’s the integral part of the campaign.”

Apple’s new U2 iPod

(U-WIRE) SAN JOSE, Calif.- Members of the legendary rock band U2 appeared with Apple CEO Steve Jobs to unveil new versions of the popular iPod, and Bono and The Edge from U2 performed two songs from their upcoming album.

Jobs announced to the crowd of journalists and other special guests, such as celebrity Tim Allen, the release of iPod Photo and the U2 Special Edition iPod.

“Technology has always been a part of music,” said Bono, U2’s lead singer.

Apple and U2 began their partnership when the company launched its iTunes online music store, Jobs said.

Apple is airing a commercial for iPods featuring U2’s single “Vertigo.”

“We just had one of the most special moments in our history,” Jobs said. “U2 is the greatest band today.”

To donate paperback books for the Homeless Ministry, drop off your donations at the Department of Biomedical Engineering in the McArthur Annex Building,1251 Memorial Drive-Room 219A. Alpha Eta Mu Beta will be collecting books until the end of October. For more information call 305-284-2445.