News Briefs

Throughout the month of October, the Council for Democracy, UM College Republicans and UM Young Democrats have been tabling in the Breezeway conducting mock elections. The purpose of these elections is to see which presidential candidate has the most support among UM students. On Oct. 26, the organizations held their third poll from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and collected 317 votes. The results were the following:

President Bush (R) – 206 votes

Senator Kerry (D) – 109 votes

Ralph Nader received no votes, while Howard Dean and Michael Peroutka each received one vote.

On Wednesday, Oct. 27, a partisan fair was held in the UC patio, where students were able to campaign for their candidate of choice. The actual presidential election will be held on Nov. 2.

UM students were sitting on the Rock last Wednesday, but instead of taking a break between classes, they were diligently writing letters to save lives. Up ’til Dawn, the student organization that raises money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, held their Halloween Letter Writing Party to raise money for the hospital.

Organizers have been recruiting various student groups throughout the semester to bring come and participate in the letter writing event. Students came prepared with addresses of their friends and family members, and filled out letters explaining the St. Jude mission and asking for donations.

Almost 1,000 letters were written; one student brought 70 names and addresses for his letters.

“Our event would only be successful with people’s participation,” said Tina Vothang, Up ’til Dawn executive board member. “That’s the integral part of the campaign.”

Apple’s new U2 iPod

(U-WIRE) SAN JOSE, Calif.- Members of the legendary rock band U2 appeared with Apple CEO Steve Jobs to unveil new versions of the popular iPod, and Bono and The Edge from U2 performed two songs from their upcoming album.

Jobs announced to the crowd of journalists and other special guests, such as celebrity Tim Allen, the release of iPod Photo and the U2 Special Edition iPod.

“Technology has always been a part of music,” said Bono, U2’s lead singer.

Apple and U2 began their partnership when the company launched its iTunes online music store, Jobs said.

Apple is airing a commercial for iPods featuring U2’s single “Vertigo.”

“We just had one of the most special moments in our history,” Jobs said. “U2 is the greatest band today.”

To donate paperback books for the Homeless Ministry, drop off your donations at the Department of Biomedical Engineering in the McArthur Annex Building,1251 Memorial Drive-Room 219A. Alpha Eta Mu Beta will be collecting books until the end of October. For more information call 305-284-2445.

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...