Memo to professors: No more work over break

Got a dictionary at hand?

Look up the word “break.” How’s it defined? You may find the following:

1) some abrupt occurrence that interrupts

2) an unexpected piece of good luck

3) a pause from doing something (as work)

Unfortunately, I won’t be focusing on the second definition. In fact, I would be focusing on the opposite-an unexpected piece of bad luck. And, coincidentally, this bad luck has everything to do with the last definition. The “break” I am referring to is “fall break” (also applicable: “winter break,” “spring break” or “summer break”).

This fall “break” was supposed to be a much-needed pause from the everyday drudgery of coursework for my girlfriend and me. We planned a quiet weekend in the Florida Keys where we could relax and forget about all the hurricanes, midterms, papers and responsibilities that had haunted the first quarter of the school year. Little did I know that my Existentialism teacher went ahead and-with three days’ notice-invited Martin Heidegger and Jean-Paul Sartre to come along for the trip with us.

You see, the Tuesday before fall break commenced, my class received a writing assignment to be due the following Tuesday-one week. But, forget for a second that we got a week to complete it, or that my class had the option of doing another paper a couple weeks before. Fall break ran from Thursday afternoon until Monday morning. Peculiar. That would mean that-unless we were to use our “break” to continue doing the schoolwork we were set to have a “break” from-we were given three days to complete a four- to six-page essay.

Of course, for any of us, this wasn’t the first occurrence of “break” work (not nearly), nor will it be the last. Since childhood, educators have attempted to instill in us the idea that there are no real breaks; even in adulthood, they justify, there is no such thing as a free lunch. We must be willing to work even during our “breaks” because there is no telling when it will become imperative that a task be completed.

Well, here’s some news, apparently, to a number of culprits, er, professors out there: We take more than one class per semester. So, the next time a professor tries pulling some lame authoritative “I told you so” such as “you know, in the real world, if you turn something in late, you get fired,” let them know that in the real world you usually don’t work five or six “jobs.”

What is especially disappointing is that this is occurring in a semester constantly interrupted by hurricanes. Here we are, finally, with a few good days of weather and some free time, and the only thing I’m bronzing at the beach is my brain.

Quit hogging the sun, Sartre.

Oh…and pass the sun block, Heidegger.

Ben Minkus can be contacted at b.minkus@umiami.edu.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...