Ibis Ride to run on Halloween night

Despite some initial setbacks, the Ibis Ride shuttle service to Coconut Grove will be provided this Sunday on Halloween. Lack of funding and some reluctance on the part of the University made it seem possible that the service wouldn’t continue this year, but Student Government [SG] took action to obtain the service.

“Shuttle service to the Grove on Halloween was a Student Government initiative last year-demand was huge, and things got really chaotic in Stanford Circle,” said Vance Aloupis, SG president, in reference to the large crowds that were waiting for the two shuttles last year.

Ibis Ride encountered various problems last year with the Halloween shuttles. The shuttle took about an hour to travel to the Grove, and the police department kept changing the shuttle routes and stops, creating confusion for students waiting to be picked up. This resulted in a need for more shuttles, as well as more order with the process.

According to Aloupis, the University was reluctant to provide funding for the shuttles to the Grove mainly because Halloween falls on a Sunday this year. SG displayed the need for four shuttles, and the Office of Student Affairs eventually agreed to provide funding for two more shuttles than last year.

“A lot of students will be over there anyway, so we decided to provide them this service,” Aloupis said. “That way, they don’t have to worry about driving or parking in an area they don’t like.”

Two of the shuttles will stop at Stanford Circle to service residents of Mahoney, Pearson and Eaton Residential Colleges, while the others will stop on Dickinson Drive to service those who live in Stanford and Hecht Residential Colleges.

“UM is working with the Coral Gables Police to agree on a set, regulated route for the shuttles,” Aloupis said. “[SG] will be out there to ensure that things go smoothly.”

Many students will be taking advantage of Ibis Ride on Halloween, while others prefer to drive to the Grove.

“Driving is faster, and you can leave when you want instead of waiting around for the shuttle,” William Yeingst, sophomore, said. “And you don’t have to put up with loud drunks in the shuttle on the way back.”

There are many benefits to using the Ibis Ride service.

“I like to support the campus and use what’s available to me,” Maximilian Abend, freshman, said.

Ricky Laverdure, freshman, will take the shuttle because “it’s safe and reliable.”

Some were more direct about their reasons for utilizing the shuttle.

“I plan on drinking a lot of alcohol,” Kristen Feldman, sophomore, said.

Jay Rooney can be contacted at j.rooney@umiami.edu.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...