EDITORIAL On voting well

This week, college newspapers around the country endorsed their candidate for the U.S. presidency. Because our editorial board is evenly split-much like the nation itself-we will not do so. We will, however, endorse the practice of voting well.

In an election as important as this one, where the country is at war, citizens fear another terrorist attack and the economy is running on a deficit, ignorance and laziness have no place at the polls.

An informed voter cannot base his or her decisions on melodramatic television ads or 30-second evening news sound bytes, and it is not enough to watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart or Saturday Night Live to be election-savvy. These programs are meant to entertain (hence why the former is on Comedy Central and why the latter’s “Weekend Update” lasts five minutes), and although they allude to current events, they do not paint a complete picture of the issues that are important on Election Day.

Likewise, as pleasing to the eye as it may be to watch Ben Affleck stumping for Sen. John Kerry or Kid Rock supporting President George W. Bush, celebrity endorsements ought to be irrelevant when deciding whom to vote for. The only reason why celebrity endorsements make the news is precisely that-celebrity, and not any particular knowledge or expertise behind them.

There has been so much mudslinging this campaign season that it is difficult to sort through the truth and the clich

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...