EDITORIAL On voting well

This week, college newspapers around the country endorsed their candidate for the U.S. presidency. Because our editorial board is evenly split-much like the nation itself-we will not do so. We will, however, endorse the practice of voting well.

In an election as important as this one, where the country is at war, citizens fear another terrorist attack and the economy is running on a deficit, ignorance and laziness have no place at the polls.

An informed voter cannot base his or her decisions on melodramatic television ads or 30-second evening news sound bytes, and it is not enough to watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart or Saturday Night Live to be election-savvy. These programs are meant to entertain (hence why the former is on Comedy Central and why the latter’s “Weekend Update” lasts five minutes), and although they allude to current events, they do not paint a complete picture of the issues that are important on Election Day.

Likewise, as pleasing to the eye as it may be to watch Ben Affleck stumping for Sen. John Kerry or Kid Rock supporting President George W. Bush, celebrity endorsements ought to be irrelevant when deciding whom to vote for. The only reason why celebrity endorsements make the news is precisely that-celebrity, and not any particular knowledge or expertise behind them.

There has been so much mudslinging this campaign season that it is difficult to sort through the truth and the clich

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...