UN Day displays cultural unity on campus

On a typical mid-October day, the Miami sun highlighted an unusual sight on the Green. A stage was set up between two tents, with brightly colored displays all over. The speakers blared out an eclectic mix of various world sounds from bhangra to soca and everything in between, and students performed on stage throughout the day.

A diverse group of students representing a variety of organizations on campus promoted cultural awareness, while exposing various problems facing people worldwide. The scene attracted the student body to what has become a fixture at UM: United Nations [UN] Day.

Sponsored by the Council of International Students and Organizations [COISO], UN Day is celebrated as an expression of international solidarity between various cultures and ethnicities and as a way to increase awareness of such cultures to college campuses nationwide. In light of the recent natural disasters and other problems plaguing various countries worldwide, and because of the number of students who represent those countries on our campus, COISO decided on the theme “Riding Out the Storm.”

“We broke away from the national theme because so many students on campus were affected by the recent hurricanes and other disasters,” Vivek Patel, COISO vice-president, said.

“UN Day’s goal is to raise cultural awareness, but we also brought to attention the disasters plaguing these countries,” Ciara Mohamed, president of COISO, said. “We want to focus more on the recovery effort rather than on the disasters.”

The theme of recovery from disasters also reverberated the common theme of humanity coming together for a common cause, which was reflected by the various student organizations who tabled at the event. Students passing by were drawn in by the various cultures being represented.

“This is a great event,” Ara Samra, sophomore, said. “I had no idea there were so many cultures on our campus.”

It is this increasing awareness that makes United Nations Day such a success. “We’ve been holding UN Day every year since COISO was established back in the 70’s,” Mohamed said. “It’s an event that everyone looks forward to.”

Christian Martinez can be contactedat c.martinez7@umiami.edu.

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...