UN Day displays cultural unity on campus

On a typical mid-October day, the Miami sun highlighted an unusual sight on the Green. A stage was set up between two tents, with brightly colored displays all over. The speakers blared out an eclectic mix of various world sounds from bhangra to soca and everything in between, and students performed on stage throughout the day.

A diverse group of students representing a variety of organizations on campus promoted cultural awareness, while exposing various problems facing people worldwide. The scene attracted the student body to what has become a fixture at UM: United Nations [UN] Day.

Sponsored by the Council of International Students and Organizations [COISO], UN Day is celebrated as an expression of international solidarity between various cultures and ethnicities and as a way to increase awareness of such cultures to college campuses nationwide. In light of the recent natural disasters and other problems plaguing various countries worldwide, and because of the number of students who represent those countries on our campus, COISO decided on the theme “Riding Out the Storm.”

“We broke away from the national theme because so many students on campus were affected by the recent hurricanes and other disasters,” Vivek Patel, COISO vice-president, said.

“UN Day’s goal is to raise cultural awareness, but we also brought to attention the disasters plaguing these countries,” Ciara Mohamed, president of COISO, said. “We want to focus more on the recovery effort rather than on the disasters.”

The theme of recovery from disasters also reverberated the common theme of humanity coming together for a common cause, which was reflected by the various student organizations who tabled at the event. Students passing by were drawn in by the various cultures being represented.

“This is a great event,” Ara Samra, sophomore, said. “I had no idea there were so many cultures on our campus.”

It is this increasing awareness that makes United Nations Day such a success. “We’ve been holding UN Day every year since COISO was established back in the 70’s,” Mohamed said. “It’s an event that everyone looks forward to.”

Christian Martinez can be contactedat c.martinez7@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...