Trick Daddy says that everyone has to feel him

Trick Daddy has represented Miami ever since he stepped up to the mic with Uncle Luke on the 1996 hit “Scarred.” Through the span of eight years, Trick has released five solo albums, obtained four gold and platinum plaques and wrote more ghetto scriptures than a preacher.

With a lost of hits such as “Na’an,” “Shut Up,” and “Take It To Da House,” Trick is back and better than ever. With his rock/rap single “Let’s Go” playing on every major radio format (including rock), Thug Matrimony: Married to the Streets, is expected to be Trick’s biggest album to date. With the album in stores today (October 26th), Trick spoke with The Hurricane about the album, single and of course, how “Trick loves the kids.”

The Hurricane: Talk about the album Thug Matrimony: Married to the Streets and what it means to you.

Trick Daddy: I feel like Sean Taylor about to get drafted in the first round. It’s covering all aspects of the game. All aspects of the streets. It’s showing love for the kids. Showing love for the [older]crowd. Definitely for the thugs, the struggle you know? I put a sticker on it reminding everybody to go out and vote on the ticket. It’s Trick Daddy. It’s Miami.

Let’s talk about the first single “Let’s Go.” Who came up with the concept for the song and who decided to put Lil’ Jon and Twista on the track?

Unusual Suspects, producers from my camp, were the ones who came up with the idea for the song. My management decided to put Lil’ Jon on the track. Twista is my dawg. We’ve been doing music [together]for a minute now. Twista was on my first album.

The song samples from Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train.” How did you get the clearance? Did you personally speak to Ozzy or was it through your respective camps?

Yeah, we contacted Ozzy and they were excited about it because nobody ever used their sample for a hip-hop record. They cleared it and I thank Ozzy for that because a lot of people don’t clear samples; they give you the run around and charge you high prices, but Ozzy went over and cleared it for us.

What were some of your favorite tracks on this album? What songs best represent the album as a whole?

We redid “If It Isn’t Love” by New Edition called “Ain’t a Thug.” “Gangsta Livin,””U Never Know,” and “4 Eva” with Jazzy Pha on the hook.

In the South, you are one of the top rappers in this region, but nationally, you haven’t gained the respect of the other regions. How hard is for you to make music, but not have everyone feel you?

I mean they feel me. Anybody who doesn’t feel me is a fool. I make music representing the thugs, representing the South. If they don’t feel it now, they never will. Laughs.

We know that “Trick loves the kids,” but now that you have a son, how important now is it for you to be a role model for the younger kids?

It’s real important because they [media]always put negativity towards hip-hop. So I always tell the kids, ‘Do as I say do, don’t do as I do.’ I always put children songs up there and they know what their songs are.

What are your expectations for this album and what do you expect for 2005?

I expect [the album]to be big, and if everything goes well, it should be. I’ve been getting good feedback from the record. [For 2005], I plan on going on tour and doing bigger and better things.

Marcus Washington can be contacted at

m.washington2@umiami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...