News Briefs

The UM website was recently updated and redesigned. Following a mandate by the World Wide Web Committee that requires to change the appearance of the website every three to four years, University webmasters have worked hard to give the UM website a makeover. The new website features several UM-related headlines, making students aware of what is happening on campus at a glance. According to Jarrad Singman, University Webmaster, the navigation on the new site has switched from a content-based layout to an audience-based layout. The new layout caters to certain groups of people, such as students, faculty and parents, providing information that would be most necessary to them through simple, user-friendly links.

The Ibis yearbook is shooting Senior and Underclassmen pictures the week of Oct. 25 through 29 in UC 233 (across from Flamingo Ballroom A). Seniors should go to www.mcgrathstudios.com (password: IBIS) to make an appointment. There is a $25 sitting fee. Underclassmen can show up anytime between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to have their picture taken; there sitting is no cost. For more info email IbisEditor@aol.com or call the Ibis Office at 305-284-6385.

(U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb. – To some, the game Rock Paper Scissors is just an easy way to decide who gets to ride shotgun or who gets the last mozzarella stick. For members of the World Rock Paper Scissors Society, it has deep cultural significance and clearly defined rules.

On Feb. 1, one University of Nebraska-Lincoln student will win a free trip to South Beach. to participate in the first North American Collegiate Invitational Rock Paper Scissors Tournament.

The sweepstakes, sponsored by GotUsed Books, will award one randomly selected UNL student a chance to win $5,000 by competing against students from more than 90 campuses nationwide.

The selected UNL student and his or her trainer will have a chance to display many skills focusing on elements such as priming, the approach, delivery and throws associated with the activity.

“There’s a strategy to every game,” said Ross Bjork, a senior marketing major. “Personally, I like to go paper, rock, rock.”

The World Rock Paper Scissors Society originated in England in 1842. The club was designed to bring enthusiasts away from the legally binding aspects of the game in an effort to make it more recreational. In 19th century English society, usage of the game reserved as much authority as a binding contract and was valid in contract and tort law.

The World Rock Paper Scissors Society, which nationally sanctions the tournament, is dedicated to the widespread usage of the game as a fun and safe way to settle disputes.

According to the World Rock Paper Scissors Society’s Web site, decision making, wits, speed and dexterity are all key factors in determining a Rock Paper Scissors champion.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...