News Briefs

The UM website was recently updated and redesigned. Following a mandate by the World Wide Web Committee that requires to change the appearance of the website every three to four years, University webmasters have worked hard to give the UM website a makeover. The new website features several UM-related headlines, making students aware of what is happening on campus at a glance. According to Jarrad Singman, University Webmaster, the navigation on the new site has switched from a content-based layout to an audience-based layout. The new layout caters to certain groups of people, such as students, faculty and parents, providing information that would be most necessary to them through simple, user-friendly links.

The Ibis yearbook is shooting Senior and Underclassmen pictures the week of Oct. 25 through 29 in UC 233 (across from Flamingo Ballroom A). Seniors should go to www.mcgrathstudios.com (password: IBIS) to make an appointment. There is a $25 sitting fee. Underclassmen can show up anytime between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to have their picture taken; there sitting is no cost. For more info email IbisEditor@aol.com or call the Ibis Office at 305-284-6385.

(U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb. – To some, the game Rock Paper Scissors is just an easy way to decide who gets to ride shotgun or who gets the last mozzarella stick. For members of the World Rock Paper Scissors Society, it has deep cultural significance and clearly defined rules.

On Feb. 1, one University of Nebraska-Lincoln student will win a free trip to South Beach. to participate in the first North American Collegiate Invitational Rock Paper Scissors Tournament.

The sweepstakes, sponsored by GotUsed Books, will award one randomly selected UNL student a chance to win $5,000 by competing against students from more than 90 campuses nationwide.

The selected UNL student and his or her trainer will have a chance to display many skills focusing on elements such as priming, the approach, delivery and throws associated with the activity.

“There’s a strategy to every game,” said Ross Bjork, a senior marketing major. “Personally, I like to go paper, rock, rock.”

The World Rock Paper Scissors Society originated in England in 1842. The club was designed to bring enthusiasts away from the legally binding aspects of the game in an effort to make it more recreational. In 19th century English society, usage of the game reserved as much authority as a binding contract and was valid in contract and tort law.

The World Rock Paper Scissors Society, which nationally sanctions the tournament, is dedicated to the widespread usage of the game as a fun and safe way to settle disputes.

According to the World Rock Paper Scissors Society’s Web site, decision making, wits, speed and dexterity are all key factors in determining a Rock Paper Scissors champion.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...