Homecoming to begin with changes

Homecoming begins Oct. 29, and students from various campus organizations will participate in this year’s activities with some new rules incorporated into the competition.

Based upon concerns from previous years, organizers found that homecoming was turning into a competition event rather than an activity that promoted students, faculty, staff and alumni to unite.

One of the most significant changes is the event competition categories. Traditionally Greek and independent organizations do not compete against each other, but this year that will not be the case. Organizations will be categorized according to number of members they each have; this way students will get to interact with a more diverse group of students.

“I think it was fun competing against other fraternities and sororities because it was really a Greek thing, but I welcome the new changes because it will bring the school together as a whole,” said Bobby Kaple, senior and member of Sigma Chi. “I think it was great before but you can’t go wrong opening up the competition to others.”

Students have welcomed the changes, stressing the importance of the Greek and non-Greek organizations to compete together.

“It will benefit the UM community by promoting diversity and teamwork, and I also believe it will benefit the Greek community as well in a lot of ways,” said Katie Benjamin, senior and Tri Delta member. “It will give non-Greek students an opportunity to meet Greek students and interact and learn about the Greek community.”

Independent organizations are eager to have the opportunity to participate with the Greek community, and have smaller organizations become more actively involved in homecoming activities.

“This encourages competition between all organizations, Greek and non-Greek, allowing new rivalries to be formed. I’ve noticed that there are more small organizations that want to compete this year than in past years,” Miriam Cortes, president of the Association of Commuter Students, said. “Either way, it’s important to remember that homecoming is not about the competition-it’s about showing love and spirit for your alma mater.”

Other changes this year include the shortening of competition time from three and a half weeks in previous years to just one week. Also, the Ms. UM pageant will now take place in the spring, and a different competition will be held for Ms. Homecoming.

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...