CLOTHING Tees make a statement

Ever wanted to express your thoughts without having to say them? Merenda is the solution, with designer tees that make some universal and rather controversial statements.

Designed and created by husband and wife Tony and Melissa Merenda, the tees area available to both men and women. Displaying sayings such as “Gay Is the New Black,” “Yes, I’m Rich,” “Boys Suck” and “Girls Suck,” the word-saying tees are the best of the lines.

Other tees and tanks are categorized as graphic or vintage. Graphic tees for girls include tanks with the Hello Kitty silhouette and the words “Hella Kitty,” “My milkshake’s better than yours” accompanied by a sparkling milkshake design and the blatant phrase “Fat Chick” with a small chick nesting.

Women’s vintage tees are designed in faded and earth tone colors with sayings such as “Mother Trucker” and “Taxi Dependable.”

Men’s graphic tees are available in a variety of bright colors with phrases and matching graphics such as “Italian Stallion” and “Foot Long,” with a picture of a hotdog and the classic skull and cross bones.

Vintage tees for men include “Fresh Fish,” “The Back Door Club” and the classic graphic of a city with the phrase, “Where the Stupid People Live.”

Merenda tees and tanks are sold in boutiques across the nation, specifically Florida, California, Nevada, Texas and New York. The original Merenda boutique is located on the upper east side of Miami where both Tony and Melissa Merenda cater to every customer’s need.

Additionally, Merenda supports many local designers such as the famous Ash Rana, lending their walls to display some works of local artists.

If you can’t wait to make your statement check out Merenda or visit the website. Don’t be afraid to speak your mind and let your tee carry your voice.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...