CD Review fishing with a bluegrass sound

Just as we were all starting to think that all of today’s hot music came from pop stars like Ciara and Britney, Leftover Salmon, a “polyethnic Cajun slamgrass” band has just released its first self-titled studio album filled with astounding acoustic instrument play and uplifting lyrics. Going beyond all musical barriers and providing an innovative groundbreaking sound, the band’s new album helps us open our eyes to a new musical genre – Southern rock music.

Filled with 11 fresh tracks, the album starts off with “Down in the Hollow,” a fast-paced song with a superior banjo intro and transitions to “Weary Traveler,” a smooth and relaxing classic. Blending qualities of bluegrass, funk, boogies and jazz, the album immerses us into a world of Southern musical culture. Most of the songs have to do with earthy themes and are a good example of what is true Cajun music.

Seen as your everyday country-bluegrass band, Leftover Salmon is actually different from all the rest. Composed of five members (three of which have recently joined the band), it is truly setting trends in the overlooked genre of bluegrass music and is building a stepping-stone for other Cajun artists.

If you are looking to get into different types of music or just want something relaxing to listen to, Leftover Salmon is a superb choice, so go out and grab a copy today.

Keith Preciados can be contacted at k.preciados@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...