CD REVIEW Creativity Gives the Workhouse The Edge

There are almost no words to describe the Workhouse’s debut album, The End of The Pier. Literally.

This new eclectic post-rock quartet dished out a slew of songs completely deprived of vocals and lyrics. Instead, it pieced together 12 tracks of pure mood music, laden with swarms of effervescent guitar textures and instrumental dynamics. Although the production quality is slightly lacking, the band’s musicality is impressive, forming addictive melodies and harmonies amid what appears to be a giant wall of sound.

That couldn’t be farther from the truth. Creativity is the group’s secret to winning over its listeners. It clearly shows through in the way it managed to structure and mix the plethora of sounds in its songs-and have it make sense.

The group produces a few memorable songs like “John Noakes” and “The End of the Pier,” which actually features a brief vocal line. Other standouts include the dreary “Ice Cream Van” and the dreamy “Mouse.” At the same time, there are a couple of songs, namely “Steelworks Sea and Sky,” that feel like nonchalant, unfinished experiments.

Regardless, unlike many other bands, the Workhouse’s independence from vocal communication is their greatest strength. It shines the limelight on the music and its intricacies, which the band commands with surprising precision.

Rafael Sangiovanni can be contacted at r.sangiovanni.miami.edu.

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...