CD REVIEW Creativity Gives the Workhouse The Edge

There are almost no words to describe the Workhouse’s debut album, The End of The Pier. Literally.

This new eclectic post-rock quartet dished out a slew of songs completely deprived of vocals and lyrics. Instead, it pieced together 12 tracks of pure mood music, laden with swarms of effervescent guitar textures and instrumental dynamics. Although the production quality is slightly lacking, the band’s musicality is impressive, forming addictive melodies and harmonies amid what appears to be a giant wall of sound.

That couldn’t be farther from the truth. Creativity is the group’s secret to winning over its listeners. It clearly shows through in the way it managed to structure and mix the plethora of sounds in its songs-and have it make sense.

The group produces a few memorable songs like “John Noakes” and “The End of the Pier,” which actually features a brief vocal line. Other standouts include the dreary “Ice Cream Van” and the dreamy “Mouse.” At the same time, there are a couple of songs, namely “Steelworks Sea and Sky,” that feel like nonchalant, unfinished experiments.

Regardless, unlike many other bands, the Workhouse’s independence from vocal communication is their greatest strength. It shines the limelight on the music and its intricacies, which the band commands with surprising precision.

Rafael Sangiovanni can be contacted at r.sangiovanni.miami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...