Music + Fashion Funkshion

Ten DJs, 20 designers, and four days, FUNKSHION: Fashion Week Miami was the haute event of October. FUNKSHION, the fusion of music and fashion, premiered some of the hottest spring/summer 2005 collections in the Design District’s Moore Building.

A blossoming fashion market, Miami’s FUNKSHION is unlike any other fashion week. Energetic and anything but traditional, FUNKSHION provided a venue for both established and emerging designers to showcase their collections to local fashionistas, international buyers, celebrities, media and even the public.

Along with using the runway to display their collections, the designers integrated music into their shows, often personally choosing their favorite DJs or even particular songs. Everything from electronica to hip-hop to the illustrious musings of Coldplay reverberated throughout the three stories of the Moore Building.

In addition to featuring such well-known designers such as Nicole Miller, Betsey Johnson, Rebecca Minkoff, Dragana Ogenjanovic and a few others, FUNKSHION hosted a fashion show featuring some of newest up-and-coming young designers. Sponsored by Perrier, the designers showcased their fashions for a panel of judges, competing for the Perrier “Bubbling Under” Award that rewarded the winning designer, Yuliya Sokolova, with a $5,000 cash prize to further her career in design and help produce more collections.

Combined with after parties at four of the top party spots in Miami Beach such as Rok Bar, Mynt and Priv

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...