Music + Fashion Funkshion

Ten DJs, 20 designers, and four days, FUNKSHION: Fashion Week Miami was the haute event of October. FUNKSHION, the fusion of music and fashion, premiered some of the hottest spring/summer 2005 collections in the Design District’s Moore Building.

A blossoming fashion market, Miami’s FUNKSHION is unlike any other fashion week. Energetic and anything but traditional, FUNKSHION provided a venue for both established and emerging designers to showcase their collections to local fashionistas, international buyers, celebrities, media and even the public.

Along with using the runway to display their collections, the designers integrated music into their shows, often personally choosing their favorite DJs or even particular songs. Everything from electronica to hip-hop to the illustrious musings of Coldplay reverberated throughout the three stories of the Moore Building.

In addition to featuring such well-known designers such as Nicole Miller, Betsey Johnson, Rebecca Minkoff, Dragana Ogenjanovic and a few others, FUNKSHION hosted a fashion show featuring some of newest up-and-coming young designers. Sponsored by Perrier, the designers showcased their fashions for a panel of judges, competing for the Perrier “Bubbling Under” Award that rewarded the winning designer, Yuliya Sokolova, with a $5,000 cash prize to further her career in design and help produce more collections.

Combined with after parties at four of the top party spots in Miami Beach such as Rok Bar, Mynt and Priv

The northeastern Italian city, built in a lagoon and growing increasingly more susceptible to sea le ...

Climate scientist Katharine Mach is researching ways to adapt to our changing climate, including how ...

Thomas J. Meade, the founder of four biotech companies, launches the Frost Institute of Chemistry an ...

Frost School of Music’s Opera Program set to debut production of “L'enfant et les sortileges.” ...

During the second workshop, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership created a brave space for s ...

Mike Harley arrived in Coral Gables as a high school All-American expected to make an immediate impa ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team secured its third win of the season on Sunday, ...

University of Miami sophomore Brevin Jordan was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the 2019 ...

Behind a dominant second-half showing that featured 11-of-15 shooting from deep, the Miami men' ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The University of Miami rowing team closed out its fall slate on Sunday at the ...