I voted to legalize marijuana, but then I got high…

Attention potheads around the U.S.: You may soon be able to roll all the joints and smoke all the marijuana you want without having to spend over a thousand dollars for a trip to Amsterdam. Where is this new weed-friendly neighbor? Well, just keep in mind you may have to use your lighter for heat.

Montana and Oregon both have referenda on their state ballots this year regarding the legalization and expansion of medicinal marijuana. Alaskans, however, are going a step further, placing a statewide referendum asking voters to decriminalize the drug completely. The referendum would place the same type of regulations on the growth, sale and use of marijuana now placed on alcohol and tobacco, such as an age limit and bans on public use. Though in Oregon the measure is lacking wide support, those in Montana and Alaska look like they will pass. How did the U.S. fall behind so quickly in its homeland struggle against drugs? For one thing, it probably never believed the democratic process would be its worst enemy.

Pro-marijuana activists say the drug’s decriminalization will help ease the overpopulation of prisons and lead to safer marijuana through regulation. Anti-marijuana proponents argue that the negative effect of smoking one joint is equal to smoking ten cigarettes at one time. Many also use U.S. Drug Czar John Walters’ argument against medical marijuana, saying, “People’s suffering is being used for legalizing drug use beginning with marijuana and moving forward.” I’m not a fervent supporter for either side, but if this issue were on the Florida ballot, I would probably vote for decriminalization.

Mr. Walter’s argument isn’t too strong. For one thing, you don’t see any national effort to legalize cocaine or heroin, and I do not believe that will change with the decriminalization of marijuana. Also, regulation would be beneficial to those who do smoke it because it would guarantee that their joint will not be full of extra toxic chemicals, meaning the joint would be safer. Government revenue would also increase with taxes like those on cigarettes. This is an important point because those taxes could be used to help pay for any extra public health costs incurred because marijuana use. Personally, I have not and do not plan to smoke marijuana, but I have had friends that have and it’s not my choice whether or not they do it. It’s better that it be regulated than made in some back alley.

Pierre Gaunaurd can be contacted at p.gaunaurd@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...