FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK Berlin overcomes injury to shine

Quarterback Brock Berlin added a different twist to his latest heroic comeback. Thursday night against Louisville, the senior was in a lot of pain when he led the Hurricanes to victory.

After taking at least two crisp shots to the upper body, Berlin seemed to get even better as the game went along, especially in the second half. Head Coach Larry Coker said that it was up to Berlin whether or not he was staying in the ballgame. Berlin said there was nothing that would have kept him out.

“I never even considered coming out of the game. I did not want to come out,” Berlin said. “I was hurting pretty bad, but the doctors looked at it at halftime and I was cleared to keep playing.”

What Berlin described as a deep bruise in his collarbone area seemed to be bothering him a lot during the post-game press conference. The fact that he threw for over 300 yards makes it even more special for the Florida transfer.

The Louisville game marked the fifth time Berlin has led the Hurricanes back when trailing in the fourth quarter. In 2003, he came from behind against Florida, West Virginia and Syracuse and so far this season he led the comeback against the Seminoles and Cardinals.

Hester Second on List

With a 78-yard punt return in the fourth quarter, his third of the season, Devin Hester moved into second place on Miami’s all-time single-season list. Hester is now only behind Santana Moss, who had four in 2000.

Hester also recorded 95 kickoff return yards on the night that moved him into seventh place on the Hurricanes all-time list, with 673 for his career. He would have had 103 more when he returned a kickoff for a touchdown, but it was called back because of a holding penalty.

Coker said that he is very impressed with Hester’s play.

“He’s one of the most exciting players I’ve seen in football,” Coker said. “He makes fast players look slow.”

Jenkins Steps Up

Darnell Jenkins stepped into the spotlight as he made his first start as a Hurricane. With Sinorice Moss and Ryan Moore out with injuries, Jenkins knew he had to make big plays.

“It was very important because the coaches and the team got an opportunity to see us young receivers step up,” Jenkins said. “That was a big opportunity because they were rooting us on.”

Jenkins recorded seven catches for 68 yards, including the biggest catch of the game on fourth-and-four with a minute to play.

Notes

Howard Schnellenberger, who led Miami to its first National Championship, was on the sidelines and was interviewed on ESPN…Freshman free safety Anthony Reddick made his first collegiate start in place of Brandon Meriweather…Louisville recorded 507 yards of total offense, which marked the most allowed by the Hurricanes since Oct. 7, 2000, when Florida State had 565 total yards…Miami scored on all six of its drives in the second half (four touchdowns and two field goals)…Berlin tied his career-high with three touchdown passes on the night, a mark which he set against Georgia Tech earlier this season.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...