BOOK REVIEW The Devil Wears Prada Weisberger writes a fashionable devil

The struggling story of a newly graduated blonde twenty-something with high hopes and a few insecurities, The Devil Wears Prada is a novel about the classic story of a character struggling to find balance in life and in herself.

After traveling the world and feigning work for months, Andrea Sachs, a graduate of Brown University and a former small-town girl, finally secures a job as junior assistant to one of the most prominent women in the world of fashion in the Big Apple. Despite the numerous chapters that explain Andrea’s daily stresses of attending to the extremely demanding – albeit outrageously ridiculous – editor in chief for Runway magazine, Lauren Weisberger’s 360-page novel sheds just a shred of light on the unglamorous side of what appears to be a glamorous world.

Penned after attending Cornell University, the heart of the New York Times National Bestseller is relevant to a wide demographic of readers, the basic element of knowing how to balance one’s life. Balancing a tiresome job with 14-hour work days, a boyfriend and a best friend with hushed alcoholism, Sachs has an awakening after realizing that playing slave to her boss isn’t going to get her a job at the New Yorker or fix her failing relationships with friends and family.

Although the novel tends to get a bit dry and often times repetitive when describing the routine tasks that Sachs completes for her “boss from hell,” The Devil Wears Prada is richly narrated by Sachs’ own voice, whose blunt attitude and running commentary add comedy. Essentially, Weisberger’s novel is an entertainingly easy read, reminding readers that the struggle for balance and self-discovery is a hardship shared by many, no matter the job.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...