The proliferation of weapons of mass distraction

Let me talk to you about the proliferation of WMDs – not the kind you’re used to hearing about, and they threaten to undermine our democracy. Allow me to explain.

WMDs are destructive. They have deep implications for the electoral process and the marketplace of ideas. They keep the American public from making informed decisions. They are dangerous. See what I’m talking about? No? The term is actually very concrete – the way I see it, “Weapons of Mass Distraction” – yes, Distraction – does not have anything to do (directly, at least) with Nader, Kerry or even Bush. It has nothing to do with phony intelligence or nukes, but rather with something much more sinister: “WMDs” is simply a fancy way to describe the annoying, repetitive and seemingly omniscient political pundits that plague American newscasts.

Pundits are quite simply out of control. It’s as if Ted Turner and Rupert Murdoch set out to assemble entire armies of talking heads and dress them up in cheap suits for the sole purpose of repeating their message over and over again to slowly indoctrinate the American public (if they don’t bore us to death first, that is). Pundits are everywhere in cable news channels, slowly taking over: Pundits get more airtime than actual news reporting in primetime, when most people are watching.

Now, if these pundits spoke facts, or at least balanced their statements with opposing opinions, this wouldn’t be a big deal – in fact, it would be good for keeping America informed on hot issues. Unfortunately, pundits have degenerated from being credible, respectable sources of opinion to being little more than human broken records, endlessly spieling their biased opinions, and conveniently leaving out any opposing views that might contradict whatever sliver of a reasonable argument one might find in the hot air they spew out. On top of that, they give unnecessary importance to irrelevant issues in order to distract us from what really matters – hence “Weapons of Mass Distraction.” Over 1,000 American soldiers killed in Iraq, and the WMDs are still talking about Vietnam War records? And the American public is actually listening to them? Please – we can do better!

If this keeps up, American news networks will become nothing more than propaganda outlets for their respective preferred parties, which would seriously undermine our democratic process and the marketplace of ideas. Whoever wants to win the election should make room in their agenda to declare war on CNN and FOX to stop Ted and Rupert from proliferating WMDs, an imminent threat to the very foundations of effective democracy.

Jay Rooney can be contacted at

j.rooney@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...