LETTER TO THE EDITOR

RE: Amendment 4 in the Florida ballot

Since UM hosted the first presidential debate, all the attention has focused on the presidential candidates, but we should not forget about amendments on the ballot that concern local Florida issues.

This November there is an amendment on the ballot that will ask Floridians to allow casino-type activities to help subsidize animal cruelty.

Amendment 4 seeks to allow slot machines in dog tracks. Instead of focusing on the truth – slot machines in dog tracks will only increase the owners’ wealth – misleading commercials claim that education funds will be subsidized. However, the Lottery was supposed to subsidize education and ended up (unsuccessfully) replacing, not subsidizing, the funds.

Regardless of how one feels about casino-type gambling, this amendment will support a cruel industry. The Truth is that Florida dog tracks already receive numerous tax cuts and are interested only in increasing profits in their dying industry.

If this amendment passes, it will be mandatory that the dog races continue in order to be allowed to operate the slot machines. This will guarantee the continued suffering of thousands of dogs.

Greyhounds live in cruel conditions. These graceful dogs are a short-term investment for the dog racing industry. Greyhounds are kept in cages for 22 hours a day, fed the cheapest meat available and have questionable veterinary care. They sustain painful and fatal injuries, and more than a hundred have tested positive for cocaine. When they are not longer profitable, they are killed.

I will be voting No on Amendment 4 and encourage other UM students to realize the power their vote can have on the local issues in November’s ballot.

Caroline Gallina

Law Student

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...