‘Canes now have two huge receiving weapons

The University of Miami has enjoyed a recent tradition of great tight ends. It started with Bubba Franks, a first round pick of the Green Bay Packers. It continued with Jeremy Shockey, a first round pick of the New York Giants, and Kellen Winslow, a first round pick of the Cleveland Browns.

For the first time since before Franks, the Hurricanes do not have a superstar at the tight end position. However, this does not necessarily mean that the team has downgraded at tight end. Instead of having one superstar, this year’s offense features two very talented tight ends in Kevin Everett and Greg Olsen.

Both players are physical specimens, as they are both six-and-a-half feet tall. Everett, a junior college transfer, is currently second on the team in receptions, pulling in nine passes for 100 yards. His counterpart is the younger Olsen, a red-shirt freshman who has caught six passes for 104 yards.

Everett has impressed coaches with his good hands and ability to make plays. Olsen has been anointed by the Hurricane faithful as the next great Miami tight end, and being a freshman, he will have four years to prove that he is the next superstar at the position.

The anointed quarterback of the future, Kyle Wright, is also a red-shirt freshman, so Olsen and Wright will be together for their entire UM careers.

“I like Olsen and Everett a lot,” Head Coach Larry Coker said. “I think they are really good players.”

Even though this year’s team is built around its great defense, the tight ends have consistently played well so far. In four games they have combined for 15 catches and over 200 yards, along with making some punishing blocks for the running combination of Frank Gore and Tyrone Moss.

For the first time in the Coker era, the offense does not have one main tight end. Instead, they have two different players who can step onto the field and make plays. While Everett starts and sees the majority of the snaps, Olsen also gets on the field frequently, and even Buck Ortega sees snaps at the position. Ortega has also played well when given the opportunity.

“We don’t have one that is a superstar, because both of them have carried the load and played well.” Coker said. “I’ve been really pleased with both of them and also throw Buck Ortega into the mix. He’s looked real good too.”

So while the tight ends do not have the big names of the past, this year’s crew might have more balance and depth than any of the previous corps. It can rotate in and out without production going down.

If this team is going to win the national championship without a big-time wide receiver, it will need the tight ends to continue to play well. As Brock Berlin and the tight ends get accustomed to playing together, look for their production to continue to rise as the season goes on.

Darren Grossman can be contacted at

d.grossman@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...