The diva speaks

Known for her wild afro-like hair and rich vocals, so-called diva Jill Scott comes back from her year off with a deep appreciation of life and a new evolved album.

“Golden,” the first single off of Beautifully Human Words and Sounds Vol. 2, says wonders about Scott, who truly is “living her life golden.” Blessed with matrimony, a daughter and a year off, Scott’s lyrical return is laced with universal wisdom enriched with funky beats and an even more mature voice than before. Soulful, serene and wise, Scott’s humility catches any fan off guard.

Despite her diva title and the many connotations that word often carries, Scott still reveres the legendary vocalists that came before her, admiring her fellow divas.

“Yeah I think it’s a compliment, I just want to earn it. Just because you put out an album or two or three you’re a diva; they give that title out to girls who have one single that did well. To me the divas are Gladys Knight, Celine Dion, Chaka Khan; it’s more about time spent, Patti Labelle has been in the business and doing the damn thing for 15 to 20 years, not just a few years, not just a couple albums, or some hit singles. I want to earn it, I want to be around in 15 years and then maybe I’ll be more comfortable with the title,” Scott says.

Knowledgeable and full of life, it’s evident that Scott knows how to keep her life as an artist and her life as a person separate, often commenting on the two with very different answers. As far as inspirations, Scott states that her inspirations as a young child came from her family.

“My mother and grandmother and my Uncle Dave…My Uncle Dave taught me without teaching me what a man is, definitely an important thing to see. I would say as an artist my inspiration would be Prince and Oprah Winfrey.”

Scott considers touring with Prince one of her greatest accomplishments, along with realizing she is a person as well as a performer.

“Opening for Prince as an artist, as a person, I realized that my time is important. I think that it’s a great accomplishment, understanding that as much as I want to work as an artist, I need to live as a person.”

As an artist, however, Scott feels she has evolved, a feeling that is evoked through the smooth rhythm and lyrics of her album.

“Well, I think this album is a lot more lyric-intensive. The lyrics are better than the first one; my voice has changed: in the beginning it was a horn and now it’s a horn mixed with a low, which is very interesting to me. I didn’t sing for a year, so I guess I allowed it to mature.”

Matured and striking, it is the messages in Scott’s songs that are so awe-inspiring and inspirational. Although they would seemingly come from a godsend, Scott says, “Yeah, the songs come when they want to; there is nothing in particular that I do, it could be when I’m washing dishes or painting my toenails.”

Whether an artist or a person, Scott is extremely eloquent both on and off stage, a trait that makes her even more of a beautiful person. Ultimately, although Scott knows she has an immense talent and influence on her fans, she claims she’s just Jill Scott.

“I have to remind myself, people will let me in places or give me things, so it’s just a trip. I have to remind myself or my husband will tell me, you’re really Jill Scott, and I say, yeah, I was 10 years ago, too. Fame is weird.”

Joanna Davila can be contacted at

j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...