News Briefs

Several news sources are reporting that there is likely to be a national shortage of flu vaccine this year. According to John G. Clarkson, M.D., senior vice president for Medical Affairs, although the number of vaccine doses UM will receive is still unknown, the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Florida Department of Health will be followed to make sure that people at highest risk receive the vaccine. That group includes people with chronic medical conditions, healthcare workers in direct patient care, adults 65 and older, children six to 23 months, children six months to 18 years on chronic aspirin therapy, pregnant women, and residents of nursing homes and long-term care facilities. As it becomes clear how much flu vaccine the state, county and University will receive, it will be determined if the vaccine will be widely available to students, faculty, and staff. As soon as that information becomes available, the University community will be notified.

UM’s Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy [CESP] opened the Politics of the Environment lecture series last Thursday with Carol Browner, former Environmental Protection Agency [EPA] administrator during the Clinton administration, current principal of The Albright Group LLC, and environmental advisor to the Kerry campaign. The goal of this lecture series is to bring to campus a distinguished group of current and former federal environmental policymakers to discuss the issues on environmental policy, from drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to protecting the health of our coral reef ecosystems. Speakers address the voters directly on each candidate’s environmental policies, their current record for protecting the environment and future issues affecting the environment. For more information on upcoming lectures, visit the CESP website, www.cesp.miami.edu, or call 305-284-8259. These lectures are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted.

(U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb. – Clad only in Husker-red athletic shorts and a foam corncob hat, rocker Tommy Lee sauntered out of the University Bookstore dressing room and gazed at his reflection in a mirror.
“Yeah dude, I’m official,” he said while admiring his lanky frame, a patchwork of tattoos and Husker pride.
Two film crews and a 20-person production team scrambled through hoards of onlookers and flashing cameras Thursday, following the former M

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...