News Briefs

Several news sources are reporting that there is likely to be a national shortage of flu vaccine this year. According to John G. Clarkson, M.D., senior vice president for Medical Affairs, although the number of vaccine doses UM will receive is still unknown, the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Florida Department of Health will be followed to make sure that people at highest risk receive the vaccine. That group includes people with chronic medical conditions, healthcare workers in direct patient care, adults 65 and older, children six to 23 months, children six months to 18 years on chronic aspirin therapy, pregnant women, and residents of nursing homes and long-term care facilities. As it becomes clear how much flu vaccine the state, county and University will receive, it will be determined if the vaccine will be widely available to students, faculty, and staff. As soon as that information becomes available, the University community will be notified.

UM’s Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy [CESP] opened the Politics of the Environment lecture series last Thursday with Carol Browner, former Environmental Protection Agency [EPA] administrator during the Clinton administration, current principal of The Albright Group LLC, and environmental advisor to the Kerry campaign. The goal of this lecture series is to bring to campus a distinguished group of current and former federal environmental policymakers to discuss the issues on environmental policy, from drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to protecting the health of our coral reef ecosystems. Speakers address the voters directly on each candidate’s environmental policies, their current record for protecting the environment and future issues affecting the environment. For more information on upcoming lectures, visit the CESP website, www.cesp.miami.edu, or call 305-284-8259. These lectures are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted.

(U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb. – Clad only in Husker-red athletic shorts and a foam corncob hat, rocker Tommy Lee sauntered out of the University Bookstore dressing room and gazed at his reflection in a mirror.
“Yeah dude, I’m official,” he said while admiring his lanky frame, a patchwork of tattoos and Husker pride.
Two film crews and a 20-person production team scrambled through hoards of onlookers and flashing cameras Thursday, following the former M

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...