News Briefs

Several news sources are reporting that there is likely to be a national shortage of flu vaccine this year. According to John G. Clarkson, M.D., senior vice president for Medical Affairs, although the number of vaccine doses UM will receive is still unknown, the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Florida Department of Health will be followed to make sure that people at highest risk receive the vaccine. That group includes people with chronic medical conditions, healthcare workers in direct patient care, adults 65 and older, children six to 23 months, children six months to 18 years on chronic aspirin therapy, pregnant women, and residents of nursing homes and long-term care facilities. As it becomes clear how much flu vaccine the state, county and University will receive, it will be determined if the vaccine will be widely available to students, faculty, and staff. As soon as that information becomes available, the University community will be notified.

UM’s Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy [CESP] opened the Politics of the Environment lecture series last Thursday with Carol Browner, former Environmental Protection Agency [EPA] administrator during the Clinton administration, current principal of The Albright Group LLC, and environmental advisor to the Kerry campaign. The goal of this lecture series is to bring to campus a distinguished group of current and former federal environmental policymakers to discuss the issues on environmental policy, from drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to protecting the health of our coral reef ecosystems. Speakers address the voters directly on each candidate’s environmental policies, their current record for protecting the environment and future issues affecting the environment. For more information on upcoming lectures, visit the CESP website, www.cesp.miami.edu, or call 305-284-8259. These lectures are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted.

(U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb. – Clad only in Husker-red athletic shorts and a foam corncob hat, rocker Tommy Lee sauntered out of the University Bookstore dressing room and gazed at his reflection in a mirror.
“Yeah dude, I’m official,” he said while admiring his lanky frame, a patchwork of tattoos and Husker pride.
Two film crews and a 20-person production team scrambled through hoards of onlookers and flashing cameras Thursday, following the former M

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...