LETTER TO THE EDITOR

RE: Politics of the Environment lecture series

Something exceptional happened at the University of Miami campus Thursday, Oct. 7, and, though the event was open to the public, few people knew about it: Carol Browner, former EPA administrator, spoke about the role of government in protecting the environment – what has been attempted and accomplished and what is critically needed now and in the future. Her command of the facts was impressive, her enthusiasm infectious, her commitment contagious.

Yet, her audience was small. Almost nothing had been done to let the public know about an opportunity that offered little discussed but vital information for voters in the coming election. So – kudos to UM for hosting Ms. Browner as a guest lecturer, but, too, a plea for better promotion of such outstanding events in the future. Had the lecture been effectively promoted, the list of signatures of thanks and congratulations would be long.

Barbara Bell

Graduate alum

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...