Latino Fest celebrates culture through music and dance

Last Friday, the UC Patio was alive with Latino music and dance, as Hispanic Heritage Month [HHM] continued with Latino Fest, a celebration of Latino culture.

The event was coordinated by the brothers of Latino Greek Organizations Lambda Theta Phi and Lambda Sigma Upsilon in an effort to bring the Latino Greek community together with other Latino organizations on campus.

David Ten Brink, senior, said that while the Greeks had their own step and dance competitions, “there was no single Latino event for us to show what we all do and so this is it.”

The event was hosted by DJ IOP of the Mun2 network show The Roof, in addition to DJ Rico, various Latino Greek organizations, the Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos [FEC] Nicaraguan Student Association, SABOR, the Wellness Center Salsa Club and Salsa Craze.

“We wanted to get more involved in Hispanic Heritage Month, and now it’s a big thing for us,” said Ana Maria Trujillo, a junior in the Latina Greek sorority Lambda Theta Alpha.

“Spanish music brings us -the different nations- together because it’s a common bond”johanna paredes, Junior

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...