Latino Fest celebrates culture through music and dance

Last Friday, the UC Patio was alive with Latino music and dance, as Hispanic Heritage Month [HHM] continued with Latino Fest, a celebration of Latino culture.

The event was coordinated by the brothers of Latino Greek Organizations Lambda Theta Phi and Lambda Sigma Upsilon in an effort to bring the Latino Greek community together with other Latino organizations on campus.

David Ten Brink, senior, said that while the Greeks had their own step and dance competitions, “there was no single Latino event for us to show what we all do and so this is it.”

The event was hosted by DJ IOP of the Mun2 network show The Roof, in addition to DJ Rico, various Latino Greek organizations, the Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos [FEC] Nicaraguan Student Association, SABOR, the Wellness Center Salsa Club and Salsa Craze.

“We wanted to get more involved in Hispanic Heritage Month, and now it’s a big thing for us,” said Ana Maria Trujillo, a junior in the Latina Greek sorority Lambda Theta Alpha.

“Spanish music brings us -the different nations- together because it’s a common bond”johanna paredes, Junior

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...