Dear V Q: Should I meet the parents when I barely know him? Success in a bottle?

I’ve known this guy for about four days (like a total of 20 hours). On Instant Messenger, he tells me that his mom is coming down to Miami and he’d like me to meet her. He won’t tell me why, but he did say he’s been telling his mom about me. I don’t have a problem with meeting parents, but this seems a bit straightforward, especially since neither one of us has made a move. To make matters worse, I’m becoming friends with his best friend, who is really hot!
Help!

Dear Reader,
Yes, you are right; this does seem to be a bit, well, actually, very peculiar. It sounds as if you might be attracted to him, or rather he might be attracted to you in a more-than- friendly manner, but because someone has yet to make a move, you can definitely sweat out a meeting with Mom. Platonically speaking, go ahead and meet Mom (hey, you might even get a free meal out of it-yes!) but keep in mind, especially if you might be coming on to his friend, that you make sure he understands that you’re nothing more than friends (i.e. suggestive body language is a no-no) so you don’t develop a reputation of being “that girl” who meets parents and squanders food for her own glory.
Good luck!
V.

My grades have been on a gradual downward spiral since freshman year. I’ve tried everything I could think of to stay on top of my studies: tutors, study groups, online programs and meetings with my professors, but nothing is working! Even after studying for days and days, I choke on all my exams and feel like a total failure.
About a week ago, I bought some Aderall pills from a friend of a friend and have been reluctant to take them. They look kind of sketchy and I’m not even sure whose prescription they came from. I’m afraid of the side effects and what other people will think. Should I give the pills a try and see how I do on my next exam, or just suck it up and keep failing until I find a good “clean” method for memory retention?
Sincerely,
Fat Failure

Hey Fatty,
There are many students who depend on stimulants, prescription drugs or caffeine to get by. Aderall, a.k.a. amphetamine-dextroamphetamine (mmm, all natural), is a habit forming drug used to treat narcoleptics and those with Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity. I’m not insinuating that you are about to become an Aderall addict, but being that it is a habit forming drug, it is quite possible that you will experience withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking those little pills, or quite simply not be able to stop taking them due to both physical and psychological dependency on the drug. Did you even see the bottle that they came out of?
Instead of resorting to pills, maybe you should take a step back and try to unclutter your massively messy plate first. Once you prioritize your time and finally manage to “stay on top of your studies” as you so nicely phrased it, you can gradually start adding your other non-essential, extra curricular activities back into your schedule. Likewise, your problem sounds to be more anxiety based in nature and perhaps you do have test anxiety. Before swallowing those bad boys, I would highly suggest taking a trip to the Counseling Center and seeing if there is something more at play here, cause I think that there might be. 305-284-5511, Building 21R.
Yay for A’s!
V.

Something to Ponder-“Formicophilia” is the fetish for having small insects crawl on your genitals…put that in your pipe and smoke it!

See you on Friday!

Please submit all questions, comments or concerns to DearV@hotmail.com or to the Dear V box in the offices of the Hurricane. All submissions are strictly confidential. Dear V. is published on Tuesdays and Fridays, and yes, V will respond to almost (don’t push it) anything.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

UM President Julio Frenk will host a town hall meeting Monday with students, faculty, staff, and gue ...

A building at Miami Law is named in honor of Robert Dooley, who donated $1.1 million to support the ...

The use of video game technology helps physicians more accurately diagnose patients suffering from P ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...