Dear V Q: Should I meet the parents when I barely know him? Success in a bottle?

I’ve known this guy for about four days (like a total of 20 hours). On Instant Messenger, he tells me that his mom is coming down to Miami and he’d like me to meet her. He won’t tell me why, but he did say he’s been telling his mom about me. I don’t have a problem with meeting parents, but this seems a bit straightforward, especially since neither one of us has made a move. To make matters worse, I’m becoming friends with his best friend, who is really hot!
Help!

Dear Reader,
Yes, you are right; this does seem to be a bit, well, actually, very peculiar. It sounds as if you might be attracted to him, or rather he might be attracted to you in a more-than- friendly manner, but because someone has yet to make a move, you can definitely sweat out a meeting with Mom. Platonically speaking, go ahead and meet Mom (hey, you might even get a free meal out of it-yes!) but keep in mind, especially if you might be coming on to his friend, that you make sure he understands that you’re nothing more than friends (i.e. suggestive body language is a no-no) so you don’t develop a reputation of being “that girl” who meets parents and squanders food for her own glory.
Good luck!
V.

My grades have been on a gradual downward spiral since freshman year. I’ve tried everything I could think of to stay on top of my studies: tutors, study groups, online programs and meetings with my professors, but nothing is working! Even after studying for days and days, I choke on all my exams and feel like a total failure.
About a week ago, I bought some Aderall pills from a friend of a friend and have been reluctant to take them. They look kind of sketchy and I’m not even sure whose prescription they came from. I’m afraid of the side effects and what other people will think. Should I give the pills a try and see how I do on my next exam, or just suck it up and keep failing until I find a good “clean” method for memory retention?
Sincerely,
Fat Failure

Hey Fatty,
There are many students who depend on stimulants, prescription drugs or caffeine to get by. Aderall, a.k.a. amphetamine-dextroamphetamine (mmm, all natural), is a habit forming drug used to treat narcoleptics and those with Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity. I’m not insinuating that you are about to become an Aderall addict, but being that it is a habit forming drug, it is quite possible that you will experience withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking those little pills, or quite simply not be able to stop taking them due to both physical and psychological dependency on the drug. Did you even see the bottle that they came out of?
Instead of resorting to pills, maybe you should take a step back and try to unclutter your massively messy plate first. Once you prioritize your time and finally manage to “stay on top of your studies” as you so nicely phrased it, you can gradually start adding your other non-essential, extra curricular activities back into your schedule. Likewise, your problem sounds to be more anxiety based in nature and perhaps you do have test anxiety. Before swallowing those bad boys, I would highly suggest taking a trip to the Counseling Center and seeing if there is something more at play here, cause I think that there might be. 305-284-5511, Building 21R.
Yay for A’s!
V.

Something to Ponder-“Formicophilia” is the fetish for having small insects crawl on your genitals…put that in your pipe and smoke it!

See you on Friday!

Please submit all questions, comments or concerns to DearV@hotmail.com or to the Dear V box in the offices of the Hurricane. All submissions are strictly confidential. Dear V. is published on Tuesdays and Fridays, and yes, V will respond to almost (don’t push it) anything.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...