CD REVIEW An Electronic Chill, Wired Jazz

With their first full-length title, Super Structure Baby, Keston and Westdal deliver a smooth and innovative electronic-downtempo jazz experience. The CD begins with simple Brazilian percussion on the first track, “Batada Do Mar,” and the song intensifies with various electronic tones and a distinguishable bass line, which sets the tone for the rest of the album. Keston, a native of the United Kingdom, and Westdal, hailing from the San Francisco Bay Area, infuse diverse styles of jazz with electronic music to create a global lounge ambience.

The album seems to be divided throughout between the two styles of Keston, known for his revival of the electric piano in club and hip-hop music, and that of Westdal, a funk jazz bassist. This dichotomy is seen in trippy songs such as “Polar” and “Battle of the Giant Robots,” an eerie reminder of ’80s music gone awry. Westdal’s influence becomes more apparent in “Sonny’s Cut,” creating a more chill mood to balance out some of the heavy use of the Rhodes piano.

With less reliance on the ’80s beats produced by the Rhodes piano, and more emphasis on their global sound, Keston and Westdal could have created a pure instrumental album near excellence. The duo has, however, created a distinct piece that meshes two sounds that are not often successfully combined.

Robin M. Carr can be contacted at

r.carr3@umiami.edu.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...