Students cut hair for Locks of Love

Over 30 UM students donated their hair to charity when Locks of Love came to campus this week. Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that cuts hair to make wigs for children who have lost their own hair to cancer.

The Locks of Love event was part of Volunteer Awareness Week, which ran through the week and included volunteer information sessions, Volunteer Services Center [VSC] open house, and No Place for Hate Campaign.

“This is a wonderful cause,” said Sandra Torres, whose salon donated the products and volunteered their time to help. “This is our second year and I can see that student interest is growing.”

The students who volunteered to have their hair cut said that while they have never met the children they will be helping, putting a smile on a child’s face is enough reason for them to turn out.

“They do a good job, and I am happy to help,” said Kristine Velarde, a first-year graduate student. “This is a way for me to give back.”

“My hair will grow back,” said Erin Wright, who helped to bring the program to UM. “As long as there is Locks of Love, I’m willing to donate to it.”

–Judith Hudson

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...