Students cut hair for Locks of Love

Over 30 UM students donated their hair to charity when Locks of Love came to campus this week. Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that cuts hair to make wigs for children who have lost their own hair to cancer.

The Locks of Love event was part of Volunteer Awareness Week, which ran through the week and included volunteer information sessions, Volunteer Services Center [VSC] open house, and No Place for Hate Campaign.

“This is a wonderful cause,” said Sandra Torres, whose salon donated the products and volunteered their time to help. “This is our second year and I can see that student interest is growing.”

The students who volunteered to have their hair cut said that while they have never met the children they will be helping, putting a smile on a child’s face is enough reason for them to turn out.

“They do a good job, and I am happy to help,” said Kristine Velarde, a first-year graduate student. “This is a way for me to give back.”

“My hair will grow back,” said Erin Wright, who helped to bring the program to UM. “As long as there is Locks of Love, I’m willing to donate to it.”

–Judith Hudson

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...