Students cut hair for Locks of Love

Over 30 UM students donated their hair to charity when Locks of Love came to campus this week. Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that cuts hair to make wigs for children who have lost their own hair to cancer.

The Locks of Love event was part of Volunteer Awareness Week, which ran through the week and included volunteer information sessions, Volunteer Services Center [VSC] open house, and No Place for Hate Campaign.

“This is a wonderful cause,” said Sandra Torres, whose salon donated the products and volunteered their time to help. “This is our second year and I can see that student interest is growing.”

The students who volunteered to have their hair cut said that while they have never met the children they will be helping, putting a smile on a child’s face is enough reason for them to turn out.

“They do a good job, and I am happy to help,” said Kristine Velarde, a first-year graduate student. “This is a way for me to give back.”

“My hair will grow back,” said Erin Wright, who helped to bring the program to UM. “As long as there is Locks of Love, I’m willing to donate to it.”

–Judith Hudson

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...