Students cut hair for Locks of Love

Over 30 UM students donated their hair to charity when Locks of Love came to campus this week. Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that cuts hair to make wigs for children who have lost their own hair to cancer.

The Locks of Love event was part of Volunteer Awareness Week, which ran through the week and included volunteer information sessions, Volunteer Services Center [VSC] open house, and No Place for Hate Campaign.

“This is a wonderful cause,” said Sandra Torres, whose salon donated the products and volunteered their time to help. “This is our second year and I can see that student interest is growing.”

The students who volunteered to have their hair cut said that while they have never met the children they will be helping, putting a smile on a child’s face is enough reason for them to turn out.

“They do a good job, and I am happy to help,” said Kristine Velarde, a first-year graduate student. “This is a way for me to give back.”

“My hair will grow back,” said Erin Wright, who helped to bring the program to UM. “As long as there is Locks of Love, I’m willing to donate to it.”

–Judith Hudson

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...