ONLINE FUN Facebook gives students face-time with their peers

Eighteen hundred students at the University of Miami are connected; are you? From internet junkies to frat boy preps, all ‘Canes seem to be infected with the new addiction of registering with the online directory thefacebook.com.

On Sept. 24, the University became instantaneously linked to over 368,000 students in 109 universities nationwide. Created in February 2004 by four Harvard students, in eight short months the website exploded in popularity and extended to other schools. According to thefacebook.com co-founder and spokesperson Chris Hughes, the site does no self-promotion; it relies solely on the word of mouth from current users.

“We started the site at Harvard, not really thinking that it would go much further than our school,” Hughes said. “After so many people signed up, we realized pretty fast that students at other schools might enjoy using the site.”

Thefacebook.com has no formal relationship with any of the registered universities. However, students can register within their university community for free and create a profile that can include everything from their favorite music and movies, to their political views, to what their interests are and even what classes they are enrolled in. Students can then search other registered students who have the same interests as them, attend the same university, are enrolled in the same classes, are members of the same fraternity or sorority, or they can even reconnect with high school classmates.

“Students use the site to find information on their peers, to make connections with friends and acquaintances and to communicate with one another. It’s a reference tool and a means for communication,” Hughes said.

Bari Lieberman can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team dropped the opening set befo ...

Miami track and field punched three more tickets to the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships on the final ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...