ONLINE FUN Facebook gives students face-time with their peers

Eighteen hundred students at the University of Miami are connected; are you? From internet junkies to frat boy preps, all ‘Canes seem to be infected with the new addiction of registering with the online directory thefacebook.com.

On Sept. 24, the University became instantaneously linked to over 368,000 students in 109 universities nationwide. Created in February 2004 by four Harvard students, in eight short months the website exploded in popularity and extended to other schools. According to thefacebook.com co-founder and spokesperson Chris Hughes, the site does no self-promotion; it relies solely on the word of mouth from current users.

“We started the site at Harvard, not really thinking that it would go much further than our school,” Hughes said. “After so many people signed up, we realized pretty fast that students at other schools might enjoy using the site.”

Thefacebook.com has no formal relationship with any of the registered universities. However, students can register within their university community for free and create a profile that can include everything from their favorite music and movies, to their political views, to what their interests are and even what classes they are enrolled in. Students can then search other registered students who have the same interests as them, attend the same university, are enrolled in the same classes, are members of the same fraternity or sorority, or they can even reconnect with high school classmates.

“Students use the site to find information on their peers, to make connections with friends and acquaintances and to communicate with one another. It’s a reference tool and a means for communication,” Hughes said.

Bari Lieberman can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...