NEWS BRIEFS

Campaign Promotes Tolerance, Combats Hate

The Anti-Defamation League [ADL], in cooperation with UM Volunteer and Student Services and various Miami-Dade county community relation organizations, held the No Place for Hate Campaign as part of Volunteer Awareness Week, bringing social causes to the forefront of the campus’ attention.

The kick-off event held at the Rock last Monday was an effort to promote tolerance and bring to light the ever-present problem of prejudice in the United States. The event was highlighted by brief “speak-out” sessions by various prominent figures, including UM President Donna Shalala.

In addition to the kick-off event held Monday, the No Place for Hate Campaign also held various events throughout the week, including a lecture and a screening of American History X Tuesday night. The lecture “Overstepping Boundaries: Hate and its Presence in Society,” was given by Keith Akins, who clandestinely entered the world of a white supremacy group. On Wednesday evening, a student and faculty panel discussion was held on the topic, “Diversity and its Practice in America.” The No Place for Hate Campaign hopes that UM’s cooperation will help in the continued effort promoted by the ADL, being the first university in the area to openly support the cause by endorsing the campaign, living up to it’s reputation of being a campus where diversity is celebrated.

(U-WIRE) MUNCIE, Ind. – When John Schnatter graduated from Ball State University in 1984 with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, he began selling pizza out of a broom closet that he knocked down in the back of his father’s bar, Mick’s Lounge. In 1985, Schnatter turned Mick’s Lounge into the first Papa John’s restaurant. Today, he is the president and chief executive officer of the Louisville, Ky.-based Papa John’s International, which owns or franchises more than 3,000 Papa John’s restaurants in 49 states and 15 international markets. The company owns more than 100 Pizza Perfect restaurants in the United Kingdom, as well.

Schnatter will be inducted into the Miller College of Business Hall of Fame at the first Miller College of Business Alumni Awards Dinner. He is one of eight alumni who will be honored at the dinner. The college used to have several award ceremonies throughout the year but decided to combine all of the alumni awards in one evening, said Marc Ransford, media relations manager. Previous inductees into the Hall of Fame include Garfield creator Jim Davis, founder and first president of Marsh Supermarkets Ermal Marsh and Chairman and CEO of UPS Kent Nelson.

Looking for part time work? UM Canterbury Preschool has three- and four-hour shifts available. Interested students must be able to work five days a week, from either 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Openings in office work are also available. Excellent computer and people skills are required. Please send an email to Phyllis Bochman, at pbochman@miami.edu or call Michelle Klein at 305-284-5437.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...