Former KKK member tells his story

Keith Akins wrote a letter to the Ku Klux Klan [KKK] when he was a graduate student at the University of Florida complaining that the only scholarships available were reserved for minority students, asking the group if it could do anything about the situation. He also went around to the gun shops in Gainesville asking if they had any KKK connections. Pretty soon, he was contacted about one of their meetings. This is how Akins became a member of the KKK.

“I wanted to get as deep inside as I could so I could fuck them up,” Akins said.

He did not join the KKK because he shared their ideologies; rather, Akins had decided to write his dissertation for his Ph. D in Anthropology on white supremacy groups in the U.S.

Akins spent three years with the KKK, and spoke to UM students about his experiences as part of the No Place for Hate Campaign on campus this week. Students had the opportunity to ask many questions of Akins, ranging from the KKK’s justifications for its actions to Akin’s own feelings concerning his involvement with the group.

“Hate groups provide acceptance for people who need this,” Akins said. “It offers a sense of power.”

At one point, Akins lifted his shirtsleeve and showed the audience a tattoo of the Confederate flag on his forearm.

“If I didn’t get this tattoo, they wouldn’t have let me in,” he said.

Akins described “Hitler birthday parties” and white supremacy codes and symbols, and these groups’ desires for “Future Aryan Warriors.” He talked about the KKK’s fear of the non-white population, and their target groups: “non-Whites, non-Christians, and non-heterosexuals.”

“There was never a moment that I was not aware that I would be killed on the spot if I said the wrong thing,” Akins said.

Since he left the KKK, and the group discovered that he was the person who infiltrated, Akins has received numerous death threats, been run off the road, chased through malls, and had his office vandalized, among other things. However, he said that the entire experience and the sacrifices he made to do his study were worth it.

“It was mind-boggling,” Akins said. “It was astonishing that these people could live right next door to you for years and you’d never know it. They made me hate them.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...