FILM CONTEST Shorts in the Park is a break-out opportunity

Gen Art, “access to emerging talent.” the national arts and entertainment organization that is devoted to bringing talented artists, fashionistas and filmmakers, are working on their latest project, Shorts in the Park. Shorts in the Park is a visual arts-based event featuring short films from emerging independent filmmakers on large screens in downtown Miami.

Presented by Quantum on the Bay and Terra International, the event will present the films of three Florida-based finalists chosen by professionals in the film industry. As an incentive the winning filmmaker will receive a $5,000 grant from Quantum by Terra International.

Joined by a magnitude of support from Miami locals, the winning film will be screened in front of a 1,000-person audience, followed by a screening of a classic modern film. In its second year of production, Shorts in the Park is an outstanding program by an already experienced organization.

Ten years in the making, Gen Art has a long history of showcasing emerging talents in the film industry. In 2003 Gen Art hosted the Acura film Screening Series that included indy films such as Confidence and Love The Hard Way – both films included big-name stars such as Dustin Hoffman and Adrien Brody.

A tip for aspiring filmmakers: Last year’s film is in the running for an Oscar nomination, so don’t pass up the opportunity. The deadline for films is Monday, Oct.11, with a fee of $10.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Shorts in the Park

www.genart.org/miamishorts

305-695-8200
Films submitted cannot be completed
before January 2003.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...