WWE tag team debate

An unprecedented event took place when Mick Foley and John “Bradshaw” Layfield entered the wrestling rink – except with no rink, no metal chairs, and no drop kicks. There was only friendly banter and respectful criticism on political issues. The tag teams consisted of UM students Tiffany Yelder and Alex Acosta, as well as State Rep. Marcelo Llorente and State Sen. Dave Aronberg. Instead of the typical WWE body slamming competition, each team debated the political, economic and social issues concerning voters between the ages of 18 and 30.

The issues:
The economy, Iraq and financial aid.

Round 1:
Mick Foley was paired with UM debate student Tiffany Yelder against John “Bradshaw” Layfield and UM debate student Alex Acosta as Democrats vs. Republicans.
Bradshaw and Acosta gave statistics like “The [Bush] administration has created 1.7 million jobs” and “The Democratic Party has given us a guy who’s invented the Internet and a guy who’s invented Flip Flops.” The Democrat team could not respond to these attacks and Yelder’s stumble on mathematical calculations of federal funding by Bush cost them the round. Republicans drew first blood.

Round 2:
State Sen. Aronberg accompanied Foley and Yelder and State Rep. Llorente joined Bradshaw and Acosta. Neither side won this round, due to equally shady and poor responses to questions.

Round 3:
Phrases like “we have a suck it Presidency” by Mick Foley and “when Bush finds himself in a bigger hole, he buys a bigger shovel,” by Aronberg enabled the Democrats to recover from Round 1’s defeat.

Audience Decision:
“Both sides did a great job, but I would pick the Democrats even though that’s a little biased,” Daniela Recabarren, junior, said.
“Both sides were really interesting,” Emerson Davis, freshman, said. “I don’t necessarily watch WWE but I think a lot of people tonight were encouraged to vote.”

Final Decision:
The winner is…the voters.
The demographic of voters between 18 and 30 is the crucial swing vote that may decide the winner of the presidency. According to the 2000 figures from the U.S. Census Bureau, only 36 percent of the 64 million people between 18 and 34 years old voted in that year’s election. Furthermore, it has been reported that a narrow gap of 544,000 votes determined the 2000 Presidency. Many feel that the same could occur in this upcoming election. This explains why there is a surge of political climax by youth groups and celebrities to position young voters on the political offense. The ability of such programs like the WWE Smackdown Your Vote, MTV’s Choose or Lose, Rock the Vote and Sean “P.Diddy” Combs’ Vote or Die to enlist voters could make the difference in November.

Myriam Clerge can be contacted at m.clerge@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...