SURFING POLITICS Who Knew Politics Could Be So Funny?

What a fantastic experience it was having the first Presidential Debate here on the University of Miami campus. As if we needed more proof that this is the best place to be, the entire world set its sights on UM as political and media heavyweights, descending on Walsh Avenue.

If you are feeling the affects of a withdrawal from politics, I have a fix that will help you make it through until the vice presidential debate tonight. I urge you all to check out JibJab.com, a website of political caricatures that is making a buzz for its well-crafted and extremely witty animation. You can also send e-cards from the site or pick up a hilarious screen saver right in time for the November election. What this site offers are a few good laughs and some comedic points that might actually get you thinking about who should be the next man to lead our great nation.

Most of the humor on the site is silly and surely shouldn’t offend anybody. Still, some of the points are valid and hit really close to the truth. It might be a good thing for some of you diehards to chill out and take a look at the lighter side of the political world. This site pokes fun at all parties and candidates with equal distribution. Perhaps some of you that were so caught up in the moment over these past few days will realize how silly it is when you get manic over your political views.

It is a discouraging sight to watch peers scream and get belligerent with anyone who shares different views. Accepting diversity is one of many things that makes our Nation great. If there is one thing I am sure we all can agree on in the month leading up to the election, it is that JibJab.com is a fun site to visit.

John Heslin can be reached at j.heslin@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...