Students the real stars of Debate Watch Party

The UC patio and the Rat were the places to be Thursday night, as more than 4,500 students gathered to enjoy a huge “block party” that entertained students and faculty.

Hosted by WWE Superstars Mick Foley, Mark Henry and Chris Nowinski, the party began before the debate, and continued long after it had ended.

The pre-debate performance was headed by Declare Yourself Poets [DYP], a young group of poets that travels around the country encouraging young people to make a difference and vote.

“Our mission is to encourage young people to get involved and became more aware of politics,” Beau Sia, one of the members of DYP, said. “But tonight is wild, I had no idea it would be like this – it’s amazing.”

The large crowd of students prompted security to be tight as students entered the UC Patio and Breezeway. All students and faculty were required to show a valid ‘Cane card at every entrance.

“The debate party was one of the best university-sponsored events I’ve been to during my college career,” Vanessa Alvarez, sophomore, said. “I’ll probably never be as safe as I was this past week on campus. I’ve never been surrounded by so many guards.”

Despite the large crowd of students, the free food was not scarce, and students enjoyed a variety of desserts, hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken wings that were offered in tables along the UC Patio and the Rat.

“The party is excellent – there are enough people to make it a fun atmosphere, but not so many that it feels overcrowded,” Tim Keogh, senior, said. “Plus, the University gains cool points anytime there’s free food. It’s much higher quality food than I think a lot of students are used to.”

The scene was hectic before the debate, as television cameras and reporters hunted down students for quick interviews and photo ops. Once the debate got underway, the attention quickly shifted to the large screens that were placed in strategic places around the area.

Because of the big crowd, a large number of students had to sit on the grass to watch the debate.

“Overall, the party was a success,” Jana Carrero, sophomore, said. “But I think that the little space between the Food Court and the Rat was a little claustrophobic since the tables and the food lines were all situated really close together.”

The post-debate performances included Grammy award winner Jill Scott, followed by Grammy award nominee Vanessa Carlton, who was the last performance of the evening concluding minutes after midnight.

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...