POLITICAL CARTOONS : Cartoons at the Lowe evoke issues both past and present

Political cartoons, often-called editorial cartoons are often times the visual vehicles for journalistic scrutiny of political policies and affairs. Amidst the mayhem of the Presidential Debates that took place Sept. 30, the Lowe Art Museum got a piece of the action, exhibiting the works of Chan Lowe and Jim Morin.

Cartoonists for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel and The Miami Herald, Chan Lowe and Jim Morin have been entertaining readers and criticizing politicians and policies since the 1970s.

In an exhibit focusing on the upcoming presidential election and elections of the past years, the Lowe Art Museum offers a rather simple perspective on South Florida’s political cartoonists. Located in the second gallery, the exhibit of “It’s Debatable, The Political Cartoon Art of Chan Lowe and Jim Morin” is simply laid out with all the cartoons framed in a white mat and frameless pieces of glass.

Humorous and witty the various pictorials of elephants, angry mobs, and oversized talk bubbles range in topic. Seeming to be in no specific order, presidential candidates, actual debate cartoons, and issues of national concern ink the white canvases.

Despite the lack of color, flashing lights, or loud music, the exhibit has a voice of it’s own that can only be appreciated through an actual visit. Visit the Lowe and expand the knowledge of both past and present political topics, you’ll be surprised with how entertaining black ink can be.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...