Debate Watch Party gets seal of approval

The debate watch party at UM was incredible. I arrived a little bit after the debate had started, and the party was already in full swing. The Rock, the UC Patio, all around and inside of the Rat, and even the food court were flooded with people.

The strangest thing was that it was relatively quiet. Everyone’s eyes were on the big-screen TVs. The one exception was the cheers or boos that would erupt when the crowd reacted to a particular statement.

Even though I was kicking myself for forgetting my camera (I saw someone take a picture with Chris Matthews, Mr. Hardball himself, as he passed by a few feet from me!), I was still able to create a small memory to take home: the cute “Presidential Debate 2004” button made at the little button station in the Breezeway. I was also satisfied with the food – who wouldn’t be happy about barbeque and desserts dished out by servers?

All in all, I was genuinely pleased that the first debate was held at UM. It was nice to see so many students actually paying attention to some part of the political process, whatever the reason – Vanessa Carlton or free food – that brought them there.

My verdict: It was worth the hectic, at times annoying, week or so leading up to the debate.

Reeva Oza can be contacted at r.oza@umiami.edu.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...