Debate Watch Party gets seal of approval

The debate watch party at UM was incredible. I arrived a little bit after the debate had started, and the party was already in full swing. The Rock, the UC Patio, all around and inside of the Rat, and even the food court were flooded with people.

The strangest thing was that it was relatively quiet. Everyone’s eyes were on the big-screen TVs. The one exception was the cheers or boos that would erupt when the crowd reacted to a particular statement.

Even though I was kicking myself for forgetting my camera (I saw someone take a picture with Chris Matthews, Mr. Hardball himself, as he passed by a few feet from me!), I was still able to create a small memory to take home: the cute “Presidential Debate 2004” button made at the little button station in the Breezeway. I was also satisfied with the food – who wouldn’t be happy about barbeque and desserts dished out by servers?

All in all, I was genuinely pleased that the first debate was held at UM. It was nice to see so many students actually paying attention to some part of the political process, whatever the reason – Vanessa Carlton or free food – that brought them there.

My verdict: It was worth the hectic, at times annoying, week or so leading up to the debate.

Reeva Oza can be contacted at r.oza@umiami.edu.

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...