Weighty Problems for Dieters

While this is college, the land of late-night munchies, weekend binge drinking, and all-you-can-eat dining halls, this is also Miami, where “thin” has always been “in” and bathing suit season is year-round. For every student leaving the dinner line with heaping plates of pasta, pizza, and burgers, there is another taking puny portions of lettuce leaves or hollowing out a bagel with a spoon in hopes of preventing the “freshman 15.” What many people don’t know is that their diets and extended workouts may be responsible for increased weight problems.

The medical community long ago linked dieting to eating disorders and extreme weight loss: Most individuals (women in particular) that suffer from anorexia or bulimia first acquired problems while dieting to lose five pounds. However, recent studies suggest dieting itself might cause weight gain: One study of teenage girls found frequent dieters gained two pounds per year more than girls who did not diet at all.

We are a culture that applauds weight loss, regardless of how it’s accomplished, whether it’s through diet pills, “low-carbs” or downright starvation. In fact, our culture is so obsessed with shedding pounds that Americans pay between 40 to 50 billion dollars a year to the diet industry. And college students are no exception. A whopping 91 percent of women surveyed on college campuses have attempted to manage their weight through “dieting” an attempt to keep with the trend of the beautifully endowed.

The average dieter has a wide range of regiments to choose from, each providing detailed instructions regarding meal plans, snacking, and exercise:

Atkins requires high protein and low carbohydrate intake.

The South Beach Diet promotes a high protein intake and argues the difference between “good” fats and carbs to “bad” ones.

Pritikin requires strict adherence to a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet.

Ornish claims that one can “eat more and weigh less” by focusing on a diet centered upon high fibers and lowered fats.

Weight Watchers, which is based primarily on portion control, allows the dieter to eat whatever he or she may like, but in a reasonable amount.

However, research reveals the results in weight loss are nearly identical for every brand-name diet.

Experts say it is possible to avoid weight gain without either starving oneself or completely altering eating habits. Nutritionists advise people to monitor liquid calories, especially those in sodas, juices, smoothies, and alcohol. Late-night snacking is acceptable if the munchies are healthy. Pizza is fine, but be smart about your toppings and limit your portions. Lastly, exercise whenever you can. Take the stairs as opposed to the elevator. Take a walk instead of a drive. If the treadmill gets boring, take an aerobics class, which is much more interactive, and if you can’t make it to the gym, try doing a few easy exercises at home.

So rather than going to the extremes and participating in die-hard dieting making life and an obsession with appearance a constant stress, eat smart, work out, and don’t forget to indulge every once in a while.

Nicky Zailcka can be contacted at n.zailcka@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...