Students to attend historical debate

A select group of students will have will have the privilege to attend the first 2004 Presidential Debate live at the Convocation Center tonight.

Students who wished to attend the debate were required to submit a 250-word essay on the topic “Democracy in Action: Make Your Vote Count.” As of press time, the number of students selected out of the 689 students who applied had not been released. Students with winning essays were notified Tuesday.

Yasser Navarrete, sophomore, is one of the fortunate students whose essay was chosen.

“I was very enthusiastic when I first found out that UM had been selected as the first site back in November of last year, and I’ve been really looking forward to the debate,” Navarrete said. “Even though I already support a candidate, I wanted to have a better understanding of both sides, and witness history.”

Each essay submitted was given a number and put into a category according to the students’ classification – freshman, sophomores, juniors, seniors, graduate, law and medical students. No preference was given to students in any majors, and all of the essays were blind-graded.

Essays were selected by a four-person committee, headed by Dr. Robert Hosmon, associate dean of the School of Communication.

“The criteria for the essays were quality, how the student handled the subject matter, organization, and the message,” Hosmon said. “The essays were put on a waiting list, pending on the number of seats we received.”

Of the hundreds of essays received, only the top 25 of each group were selected to be waitlisted.

David Leibovitch, sophomore, is one of the hundreds of hopefuls that applied but will not get to attend the debate.

“I am disappointed that I did not get a seat, but I am glad I tried,” Liebovitch said. “I think there are many people who consider politics to be a very important part of their lives, and I hope they were the ones who were ultimately chosen.”

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

ESSAY EXCERPTS

Last week, after living in this country for sixteen years, I submitted my application to become a naturalized citizen of the United States. As I sealed the envelope, I reflected on the promise of this nation, so eloquently articulated by the common men and women who founded it; I reflected on the action of its ordinary citizen who has consistently striven to fulfill its pledge; I reflected on our leaders, who regardless of political ideology, can agree in one thing: Make America Great.

-Yasser Navarette Sophomore

It takes a lot more effort to follow a president’s political actions during a four year term in office than to just research their standpoints for a day in November…The democratic process will be fully realized when people realize that their vote stands for something. And that something is the intent to hold their candidate, if elected, accountable to promises made during their campaigns.

-Margaret Scott Freshman

If there was one thing this last election taught us, it was that an extremely small number of votes can throw the election one way or another. From the looks of the polls, this coming election is going to be one of the closest in history. No matter what people may think, they need to realize that every single vote counts and can make a difference. It is absolutely imperative that all Americans implement their right to vote. This November, I know my voice will be heard, and I will play a role in selecting the next president of the United States.

-Alanna Strauss
Senior

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...