It’s On! Candidates debate the issues in the first Presidential Debate

FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE tonight
University ready to play host to media and politicians
The most high profile, anticipated event in University of Miami history has finally arrived. After a year of planning, preparation, and excitement – coupled with stress, inconvenience, and uncertainty – the first 2004 Presidential Debate will take place at the Convocation Center tonight.

UM President Donna Shalala released a statement to all students Monday.

“This is an extraordinary moment. More than 40 million people worldwide will be watching,” Shalala said. “Take part, savor it, tune in, be proud. And brush off the inconvenience. It’s a small price to pay to be a part of history in the making.”

The Debate is the culminating event in a series of prolific events that have come to campus this semester, including visits from such notable figures as political strategists Mary Matalin and James Carville, independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader, and His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama.

The best access for the majority of students will come with tonight’s Debate Watch Party. The block party will stretch from the UC Patio to the Rat, complete with free food, entertainment, and seven large screens to watch the debate live. Grammy Award nominee Vanessa Carlton and Grammy Award winner Jill Scott will perform live. The party will be hosted by WWE stars Mick Foley, Mark Henry, and Chris Nowinski.

Debate Format

President George W. Bush and Sen. John Kerry will be debating on foreign policy issues, which is a change from the domestic policy focus announced by the Commission on Presidential Debates last month.

The candidates will not make opening statements, but will be allowed to make two-minute closing statements.

Jim Lehrer, anchor and executive editor of PBS television’s The NewsHour, will be the moderator of the 90-minute debate. He will select the topics of discussion and at least 16 questions for the candidates.

Media

Over 2,500 media personnel are expected to be on campus to cover the debate. The Wellness Center will be their center of operation, dubbed “Spin Alley.” Many students have gotten the opportunity to work with the likes of Fox News Channel, Newsweek, and MSNBC.

Hardball with Chris Matthews will film live from the Rock today, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. Crossfire and CNN Live will film live from the UC Patio through most of the day. Students can attend with a ‘Cane card.

Inconveniences abound

Many students have expressed their concerns about the various inconveniences caused by the Debate, especially considering that few students will have the opportunity to attend the event.

Freshman Rodolfo Tomarchio feels that the Debate benefits the University more than the students.

“They are hosting it more for the venue, not for the students. It’s more to get higher admissions,” Tomarchio said. “It’s a great event for the University in general, but I don’t think it benefits the students.”

“It’s really exciting that it’s right here,” Vicki Kearney, senior, said. “I wish there was more of an opportunity for students to attend the debate, because it’s right here but we’re still going to watch it on TV.”

However, both Kearney and Rachel Federgreen, a senior, say that the Debate is the biggest event they have seen on campus in their four years at UM.

“It’s an opportunity I never thought I’d get,” Federgreen said.

>>For the latest information on the Debate, visit www.miami.edu/debate04.

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...