Image is everything…

The first Presidential Debate, set to begin tonight at 9 p.m., will put the University of Miami in a global spotlight. With an anticipated 50 million viewers worldwide, it is safe to say that few will be unfamiliar with the palm trees and fountains we recognize as UM.

All of the media attention coming to UM because of the Debate is expected to have a significant impact on the University’s image.

“It’s not so much that it will change UM’s image, but that it will enhance our image,” said Jerry Lewis, vice president for Communications. “The most important thing the debate does is that it signals to the world that we are a force to be reckoned with.”

According to a recent article in The Miami Herald, UM wasn’t the only one looking to enhance its image through its involvement with the Debate. The Miccosukee Tribe of Indians sponsored the Debate with a $1 million donation, seeking to make itself a bigger force in politics and philanthropy.

Today, over 2500 members of the media are on campus, reporting for the top networks and newspapers throughout the world. This will cause a surge of publicity for the University.

“Every front page of every newspaper will include the University of Miami’s name the morning after the debate,” Lewis said. “In advertising terms, it’s the ultimate product placement.”

The media coverage will also showcase a new side of UM, beyond being a private research university, by spotlighting the Coral Gables campus and the undergraduate student body.

“Many people are familiar with us because of our medical school,” Lewis said. “And, of course, our Miami Hurricanes football team is legendary.”

Despite the increase in attention, noticeable changes in the University’s image may be slow.

“I don’t think it’s possible to make drastic changes to our image overnight,” Lewis said. “But we have made some bold, dramatic steps in a relatively short period of time.”

According to Lewis, the University’s image has changed tremendously since Donna Shalala took over as president in 2001.

“During just a few short years, we have launched a billion dollar campaign, significantly increased our academic standing, jumped up in the national rankings, and joined the prestigious Atlantic Coast Conference,” Lewis said.

So how do outsiders view the University?

“Some probably view us as an upstart, and in many ways we are. We’re relatively young as universities go,” Lewis said. “But we’re aggressive, we’re enthusiastic, and we mean serious business. When you have the confidence and stability that come with academic prowess, anything is possible.”

Leigha Taber can be contacted at l.taber@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...