CNN analyst Carlos Watson talks smack

Carlos Watson, a political analyst for CNN, arrived at UM on Tuesday. Before arriving, he held a conversation with The Hurricane’s Patricia Mazzei.

TH: You traveled the U.S. recently to get the public’s point of view on the presidential race.
CW: Yes, as part of the American Pulse series, we traveled to states like Louisiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania to meet with “real people” as opposed to politicians. It’s still a very tight race, and the biggest issue for people is who is going to keep them safe for the next four years.

TH: Do you think this presidential debate will help people make up their minds?
CW: The debates are always influential, especially since most people start paying attention to the campaign after Labor Day.

TH: What will President Bush and Senator Kerry say tonight? Given that the topic is foreign policy, will they only talk about Iraq?
CW: We will hear about more than just Iraq. I expect to hear about North Korea, Iran, Libya, Cuba-the debate being in Miami-and Sudan. In a more thorough conversation, I would also expect to hear about Venezuela, China, and the second most populous country in the world, India.
The two big questions will be, number one, where are the hot spots? In the 2000 election, no one thought Iraq was important; the debate focused on Kosovo. Number two, what about the doctrine of preemptive force? When is it ok? How is it ok? Is it only ok when the CIA has intelligence? Is it ok with or without the international community’s support? I have a feeling that [Bush’s and Kerry’s] answers to the first question will be largely-maybe 60 to 70 percent-similar. And I don’t know the answer to the second question.

TH: Florida has played an important role in this election, despite the recent hurricanes, due to how close the race was in 2000.
CW: I think Florida is gearing up to be the most important state in the election. [We can expect] the campaign will intensify, the number of commercials will increase, and there will be more visits to the state. More people will vote in Florida than in the last election. Florida will be super important.

TH: Speaking of Florida, I understand you have close links to UM.
CW: My mother was a graduate student [at the University], and we lived in married student housing from 1977-81. It was great because there were lots of kids [there]to get together and play football. [I’ve] looked forward to coming home and seeing my family and friends.

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at p.mazzei@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...