CD REVIEW John Butler Trio What You Want

An eclectic mix of soul, reggae, and a sultry Australian accent, the John Butler Trio is America’s new import from down under. Honored as being the only Australian artist to debut with a number one album, John Butler Trio knows how to make some good music.

The six-track EP titled What You Want is an eclectic mEnage of country funk, blues, and soul-based beats. Drawing sounds from a variety of instruments such as guitars, banjos, bongos and electronica, John Butler’s beats compare to some of the greats like Zepplin and Ben Harper.

The EP is the trio’s initial release in the United States, soon to be followed by a full-length album in spring of 2005. The EP, however, contains six songs, three of which were unreleased until now. A combination of original songs and a remake version of Lennon and McCartney’s classic “Across the Universe” the conscious lyrics of the trio are moving, emotionally and physically.

Soulful yet full of funk and spirit, the John Bulter Trio is headed for success here in the States – don’t be the last one to realize their talent.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...