Americans, Brits battle at UM debate

The UM Debate team and the British Debate All Stars faced off Tuesday at the Rat in a debate over the issue “this house would put an end to presidential debates.” Hosted by Chris Nowinski, of the WWE and Smackdown Your Vote, the debate focused on the effects that the presidential debates have on U.S. democratic system.

Citing the fact that questions and answers would already be prepared by candidates in a presidential debate, and that candidates would not be allowed to question each other directly, the British All Stars proposed that the debates are a danger to democracy.

“What sort of debate doesn’t allow questioning?” British debater Robert Marrs said. “It’s like boxing without punching. Instead of answers, people look for other things – the mistakes that candidates make, the clothes they wear, and their pretty smiles become more important than the next four years.”

The UM debate team opposed, stating that the presidential debates are the only way that the public can see the issues for themselves.

“Without the debates, we only know the issues through a third party: the biased media, the unresponsive media, the unreliable media,” Skylar Zwick, senior, said.

They also argued that seeing the two candidates in a debate, where there is a possibility of mistakes, humanizes these political figures into people that the public can relate to.

“The presidential debates give politicians a human characteristic,” Alex Acosta, junior, said. “When I see that Bush choked on a pretzel, that shows me that political figures are people, just like everyone sitting in this room.”

Other issues mentioned at the debate included Ralph Nader, and his inability to participate in the debates as a third party candidate.

“If someone is not Democratic or Republican then they cannot be elected. The nature of the debates doesn’t allow that, because they deny that platform to third parties,” said Aneurin Brewer of the British All Stars.

After each debater gave his or her speech, the floor was open to the audience members, many of whom questioned the All-Stars. Despite the seemingly opposing crowd, a vote by a show of hands determined the British All Stars as winners of the debate.

Natalia Maldonado can be contacted at n.maldonado@umiami.edu..

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...