Expect tight security during the debate week

For the past eight months, University of Miami officials, alongside local, state and national agencies, have been developing and coordinating security procedures for this week’s Presidential debate.

With the unprecedented high level of security on campus comes the necessity for all students, faculty and staff to visibly display their ‘Cane Cards at all times through Thursday. Consequently, guests may only visit the campus for specific University events until Wednesday night. Security personnel will stop individuals who do not have identification properly displayed, and a process of identifying the individual will ensue.

“It’s a hassle you want to avoid,” Dr. Patricia Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, said. “This is a very high-level security event and it’s positive that we have the support of law enforcement and Secret Service, but students have to cooperate.”

Josh Borgshulte, junior, agrees.

“I think everybody should treat security personnel with respect because they are carrying a lot of responsibility,” Borgschulte said.

While residential colleges are not going to be significantly affected by any of the security measures, Whitely recognized a possibility in the apartment area of a number of buildings being searched for about an hour. She emphasized, however, that no students are going to be asked to relocate.

“No one is being displaced or being asked to leave for an evening,” she said.

Despite months of planning, administrators admit that commuters should expect delays. Street closures will be announced in advance online. Metrorail service will be suspended on Thursday at the University Station on Ponce de Leon, but Miami-Dade County transit will be providing transportation from South Miami and Douglas stations to campus. Additionally, mail and package delivery will be suspended on Thursday to a number of locations on campus, including residential colleges.

Nevertheless, students feel the security measures in place are not too inconvenient and at the same time are making the university safer than ever.

“I think everything is going pretty smoothly and as long as students cooperate it should be fine,” senior Ryan Lindsay said.

In fact, Lindsay admits that more students feel cheated about not being able to attend the debate than the limits security has placed on them.

Getting inside the Convocation Center will be a microcosm of the week-long security procedures alone. Only those who have been issued credentials from the Commission on Presidential Debates will be allowed in, and will go through extensive security checks.

>> For updated security information, as well as information on street closures, visit www.miami.edu/debate04.

Paul Fajardo can be contacted at p.fajardo@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...