CD REVIEW San Ilya

Anyone who has tuned into the latest Revlon ads has already had a luscious sample of the mesmerizing group, San Ilya. “Bellissimo,” the seductive song used to amplify sensuality in the commercials, is only a tiny example of the magnificence that awaits listeners in their debut album, They Died For Beauty.

With the theme of love at the helm of each song, the band breaks new ground on how to make something sound truly sexy. San Ilya creates a dazzling blend of smooth jazz, slow-yet-enchanting dance beats and airy vocals that seeps into the soul and stays there.

This is the effect of the haunting grace that hovers over each song. From the placid song “Bliss” to the ethereal “Soleil Soleil,” Ilya sweep listeners into their beautiful world with lyrics that compliment the dreamy ambience. Over the dark and moody “Heavenly,” for example, singer Joanna Swan croons, “It’s heavenly, taking its time to be carefree,” like an eerie incantation.

Almost every song carries a dark undertone merged with a feeling of nostalgia-a combination that is sure to entice listeners. San Ilya goes out of their way to make some of the most uniquely beautiful music in recent times and the resulting debut album is a timeless gem.

Rafael Sangiovanni can be contacted at r.sangiovanni@umiami.edu.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...